Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to inground pool maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

New to inground pool maintenance

Hi all,
    We graduated from caring for a beloved Intex above ground pool using the TFPC to an inground pool a few months ago! After a major pool remodel (pool built in 1967 given new plumbing, 3 new returns, new light, new safety drains, new Diamond Brite Quartz plaster, all new equipment - pump, filter, etc. and a 3 foot wide sheer waterfall bench - whew!) we are learning how to take care of it.

Any tips or advice on the differences between an above ground pool care vs. inground pool care?

We were very hands-on with the AGP from pool chemistry, hard-plumbing to installing a new skimmer, so we are up to the challenge. It's funny how the PB and the pool care folks give you funny looks when you say you are going to do your own pool maintenance - especially when I say it vs. my hubby!

Any tips or advice welcomed! We have the amazing test kit already!

Cheers,

Liz

Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to inground pool maintenance

Hello Liz and welcome to TFP. For the most part, most aspects of TFP are the same. There are a few minor exceptions that may apply to you and I'll simply give you these pages to review:
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
    Again, subtle chemical level differences on only an item or two between vinyl and plaster. Remember that your waterfall will generate a little pH increase over time, so just be aware of that. I also gave you the start-up plaster link just in case your new plaster also generates an increase in pH. So you may need to keep acid on hand a little bit more than before until it fully cures.

Aside from those things though, you should have no problem with the transition. As things pop-up, just ask. We enjoy helping. Speaking as someone who has twins 17 yr-old boys .... CANNONBALL! They will love your TFP pool. Have a nice weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and remember, the Poolmath calculator is your friend, so use it often.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Easy one for me as Pat did all of the work LOL What he ^^^^^^^^ said!

You KNOW we would LOVE to see pictures of your pool and area!

Could you please add your test kit to your siggy? It will help in the future.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Texas Splash! I'll check out those pages! Wow, 17 year old twins! It's comforting to know some parents that made it past 14! Our twins recently turned 14!
    Thanks again for the advice!

Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Kim, I will update the siggy and post pictures soon!
    Thanks for your help!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on the new old pool! Not only do you maintain your own pool but I'm sure you do a much better job than they do also!

I love old pools, can't wait to see pics. There is no real difference other than different CH levels and keeping an rye on your CSI in Poolmath to keep it slightly negative to prevent calcium scaling. The combo of PH, TA and CH are factored in to get a CSI score.

+1 to what Pat said about water features raising your PH, so keep an eye on it and keep it at 7.8 or less.

Welcome to 14, we have a 16yo son and a 14yo daughter. We are surviving so far, barely!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach