Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I will be draining to deal with high CYA, but...

1. Back To Top    #1

I will be draining to deal with high CYA, but...

I'm curious, what do I do once it's been refilled? I'm a newish pool owner and when we finished this pool in August of last year, the contractor took care of the set up for the first month.

Do I just go ahead and add my bleach, test, and go from there?

Thanks
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I will be draining to deal with high CYA, but...

Do you have a testkit? Run a full battery of tests except CYA since you should have no CYA. You will knee to start adding that and focus on FC and pH first off.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad. Thought you were totally draining. Ignore me....
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 02-19-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Long day

3. Back To Top    #3

My first question has to be.............how are you testing? It would be very helpful if you would put that info in your siggy.

Once we know that info we can go from there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

First off, test kit.

After drain and refill. allow water to circulate to mix for an hour or so and then run pH, TA, FC, and CYA -- unless you did a 100% drain, in which case it will be zero and you won't need to test it.

Then plug your numbers into poolmath. If you're unsure of what you should target or how to use poolmath, post the test results here and someone will be along to guide you. The short version is FC or pH and while it's mixing, add CYA via the sock method. By the time the sock is rigged, you're probably ready to adjust the FC or pH you didn;t adjust already. Be aware that the pH will read falsely high if you go too high on the chlorine, so pH is probably the wisest choice for the first adjustment.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using a K-2006, which I'll add to my sig right now.

When I tested this morning, results were:

FC 5
    pH 7.5
    TA 130
    CH Didn't test
    CYA 120-140 using the diluted method
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by adamt View Post
    I'm using a K-2006, which I'll add to my sig right now.

When I tested this morning, results were:

FC 5
    pH 7.5
    TA 130
    CH Didn't test
    CYA 120-140 using the diluted method
    Unless the water is green and murky, you're in good shape. Draining half should get CYA down to a useful number. 60 CYA is not excessive in SoCal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good job on adding the test kit info! THANKS!

Print this out and use pool math (in the top bar) to find out how much of each to reach these goals:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Here is what we use in our pools:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You can buy most of it at Target or Walmart. Do NOT run out to buy it just yet. You might not need this or that.

I hope this helps!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    First off, test kit.

After drain and refill. allow water to circulate to mix for an hour or so and then run pH, TA, FC, and CYA -- unless you did a 100% drain, in which case it will be zero and you won't need to test it.

Then plug your numbers into poolmath. If you're unsure of what you should target or how to use poolmath, post the test results here and someone will be along to guide you. The short version is FC or pH and while it's mixing, add CYA via the sock method. By the time the sock is rigged, you're probably ready to adjust the FC or pH you didn;t adjust already. Be aware that the pH will read falsely high if you go too high on the chlorine, so pH is probably the wisest choice for the first adjustment.
    Great! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Good job on adding the test kit info! THANKS!

Print this out and use pool math (in the top bar) to find out how much of each to reach these goals:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Here is what we use in our pools:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You can buy most of it at Target or Walmart. Do NOT run out to buy it just yet. You might not need this or that.

I hope this helps!

Kim
    Thank you! This forum has been very helpful.

9. Back To Top    #9

So you told me to come back if I had questions...so here I am.

I drained probably 90% of the pool to deal with the CYA. Refilled and tested. Here are the results:

FC: 2.5
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 100
    CH: 110
    CYA: 15

I'm about to go to the pool store to buy some calcium chloride to deal with the CH level. I plugged my results into the calculator and it shows I need to add 31 pounds of calcium chloride. Is that right? The bucket says 1.25 pounds per 10,000 gallons.

As far as the CYA, am I looking for chlorine stabilizer? Or conditioner?

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

My math says 28.5 pounds for the CH increaser, but we may be using slightly different goal numbers. Either way you want to target the low end of the desired range for CH as it will rise over time due to concentration caused by water evaporation. As to the CYA stabilizer and conditioner are the same thing, just depends on the brand, you can even buy it in most big box stores that sell pool supplies. For the CYA just put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a water return, it will take a few days to dissolve and can take a week more to show up on the test, so don't get in a rush to retest.

Ike

p.s. are you sure the bucket does not say it will raise CH by 10 ppm in 10,000 gallons per 1.25 pound?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Stabilizer/conditioner are the same things. Look for the ingredients. You want >94% "pure" cyanuric acid. Hopefully higher.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    p.s. are you sure the bucket does not say it will raise CH by 10 ppm in 10,000 gallons per 1.25 pound?
    Yeah, I just saw that. Thanks for the advice. I'll aim for 29 pounds of CH increaser.