Ready To Landscape

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
We are meeting landscapers tomorrow. Living in Texas, and me loving California, we are wanting our backyard to look as Cali as possible. Palms and banana tress are a must so far. Not sure how many yet but Windmill and Pinto palms are in the short list. Anyone have any suggestions or pics that we could use here in North Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are meeting landscapers tomorrow. Living in Texas, and me loving California, we are wanting our backyard to look as Cali as possible. Palms and banana tress are a must so far. Not sure how many yet but Windmill and Pinto palms are in the short list. Anyone have any suggestions or pics that we could use here in North Texas?

How cold does it get where you are? Can you get freezing conditions for any length of time?

I have sago, windmill and royal palms which are quite hearty and frost resistant. My queen palms are always yellowed and dreary looking because it just gets too cold for them. Banana plants can get burned (yellowed and brown tip) by frosty weather so they may not look good in your backyard if you get cold weather.

We get below freezing maybe a few times a year but hardly ever more than a day or two at a time. We are in Zone 7. I had sago palms at my old house but we had to dig them so deep for drainage. Most of the dirt where I'm at is clay and we didn't want root rot. We had the flower beds built this time to accommodate hopefully anything we want. I think it has gotten below freezing 2 nights this year so far.

I'm right on the border of 8b/9a for my USDA zone. Our winter colds are variable enough that I usually try to stick with plants that can handle 8a and I always check with my local nursery before choosing. Palms can be pretty finicky so I'd suggest checking with a reputable, local nursery before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I took out three queen palms because of the winters we had in '13 and '14. We are just too far north for them. We have spanish daggers and love the architectural look of them. We also have a 45' tall washintonia palm as well as a canary island date palm. Here is a link that shows some of the landscaping with the spanish daggers on the right side of the photo Return angles While palms don't shed leaves, they do drop a lot of fruit and some like pindo palms have very large fruit. If possible, plant native species as much as possible to avoid disease, conserve water and provide native habitats.

Here around San Antonio, I have Queen and Sago. Two bananas that get hit fairly hard in the cold, but seem to come back each year. The Queen palms struggle a bit in our short winter, but have held-in there. This year was odd (warm). Make sure if you get Mexican palms that you check to see if they are male or female. One of them sheds a lot of palm frond debris - male I think. It can make for a mess in your pool.

I think we're leaning towards the windmill and they should be just far enough back that shedding shouldn't be a problem. They said the banana trees get cut back to about 6 inches and cover with mulch. They grow back great every year.

Windmill palm is your best bet in your climate. You could also take a chance on a mule palm, they are a cross between a pinto and a queen, hardy to 14 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I demand pics before, during and after! I am completely jealous that I can not have Palm trees. LOL

I'll definitely take pics. Decided in windmill palms. Waiting to hear back from our landscaper on the price. I did find some yesterday for a good price and may purchase those and just have the landscapers install them to save on the markup.

I live in Florida and had to have Palms. The first year I was here it was record lows for my area. It got down to low 20's at night. We went to Palm farms and it destroyed a lot of the crops. But I didn't plant until the next year. I have Royal Palms, Canary Palm, Foxtail, and Christmas Tree Palms. I had to have the Palms because I came from Indiana and that was my dream. They have done great. Even temperatures getting around 30's I haven't had a problem. I keep them watered in the dry season, fertilize, and i like nitrogen to make them healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 370
I live in Florida and had to have Palms. The first year I was here it was record lows for my area. It got down to low 20's at night. We went to Palm farms and it destroyed a lot of the crops. But I didn't plant until the next year. I have Royal Palms, Canary Palm, Foxtail, and Christmas Tree Palms. I had to have the Palms because I came from Indiana and that was my dream. They have done great. Even temperatures getting around 30's I haven't had a problem. I keep them watered in the dry season, fertilize, and i like nitrogen to make them healthy.
Sorry Husband added picture. LOL

We are in North Texas. We have 2 Windmill palms, a Pindo palm, and a needle palm. All are growing just fine. Here's a link that I have shared before.
http://dallaspalms.com/images/hardypalmschart/Hardy%20Palms%20-%20powered%20by%20ProTools.htm
Recently I got some baby Sable palms that will take a long time to grow up. The parent tree was amazing and growing in Dallas. We have some cold hardy bananas that grow back every year. We also planted different varieties of canna lilies.
Have fun designing and planting your tropical oasis!

Most everything arrived today. They started the back and will finish and do the front tomorrow. Here's a sneak peek.
bca430f9dbf3097afbce7a8e676c356c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.