Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready To Landscape

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready To Landscape

We are meeting landscapers tomorrow. Living in Texas, and me loving California, we are wanting our backyard to look as Cali as possible. Palms and banana tress are a must so far. Not sure how many yet but Windmill and Pinto palms are in the short list. Anyone have any suggestions or pics that we could use here in North Texas?

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready To Landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Shock11 View Post
    We are meeting landscapers tomorrow. Living in Texas, and me loving California, we are wanting our backyard to look as Cali as possible. Palms and banana tress are a must so far. Not sure how many yet but Windmill and Pinto palms are in the short list. Anyone have any suggestions or pics that we could use here in North Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How cold does it get where you are? Can you get freezing conditions for any length of time?

I have sago, windmill and royal palms which are quite hearty and frost resistant. My queen palms are always yellowed and dreary looking because it just gets too cold for them. Banana plants can get burned (yellowed and brown tip) by frosty weather so they may not look good in your backyard if you get cold weather.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

We get below freezing maybe a few times a year but hardly ever more than a day or two at a time. We are in Zone 7. I had sago palms at my old house but we had to dig them so deep for drainage. Most of the dirt where I'm at is clay and we didn't want root rot. We had the flower beds built this time to accommodate hopefully anything we want. I think it has gotten below freezing 2 nights this year so far.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm right on the border of 8b/9a for my USDA zone. Our winter colds are variable enough that I usually try to stick with plants that can handle 8a and I always check with my local nursery before choosing. Palms can be pretty finicky so I'd suggest checking with a reputable, local nursery before buying.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I took out three queen palms because of the winters we had in '13 and '14. We are just too far north for them. We have spanish daggers and love the architectural look of them. We also have a 45' tall washintonia palm as well as a canary island date palm. Here is a link that shows some of the landscaping with the spanish daggers on the right side of the photo Return angles While palms don't shed leaves, they do drop a lot of fruit and some like pindo palms have very large fruit. If possible, plant native species as much as possible to avoid disease, conserve water and provide native habitats.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Palms don't like freezing weather. I count fifteen days below freezing in January alone for Burleson TX
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The average low in January is 33 and when it drops below 32 it's usually only for a few hours. There are lots of palms in the area we just haven't decided out of the ones that are cold hardy which we like.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here around San Antonio, I have Queen and Sago. Two bananas that get hit fairly hard in the cold, but seem to come back each year. The Queen palms struggle a bit in our short winter, but have held-in there. This year was odd (warm). Make sure if you get Mexican palms that you check to see if they are male or female. One of them sheds a lot of palm frond debris - male I think. It can make for a mess in your pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think we're leaning towards the windmill and they should be just far enough back that shedding shouldn't be a problem. They said the banana trees get cut back to about 6 inches and cover with mulch. They grow back great every year.

10. Back To Top    #10

Windmill palm is your best bet in your climate. You could also take a chance on a mule palm, they are a cross between a pinto and a queen, hardy to 14 degrees.
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

11. Back To Top    #11

I demand pics before, during and after! I am completely jealous that I can not have Palm trees. LOL
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll definitely take pics. Decided in windmill palms. Waiting to hear back from our landscaper on the price. I did find some yesterday for a good price and may purchase those and just have the landscapers install them to save on the markup.

13. Back To Top    #13

I live in Florida and had to have Palms. The first year I was here it was record lows for my area. It got down to low 20's at night. We went to Palm farms and it destroyed a lot of the crops. But I didn't plant until the next year. I have Royal Palms, Canary Palm, Foxtail, and Christmas Tree Palms. I had to have the Palms because I came from Indiana and that was my dream. They have done great. Even temperatures getting around 30's I haven't had a problem. I keep them watered in the dry season, fertilize, and i like nitrogen to make them healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roman Style IG 14X28, Gunite Pool and Screen Cage
    11600 gallons, 3.5 ft - 6.0 ft SWG TF100 Kit:)
    Spa with spill over, tanning ledge, swim bench
    Finish TBD, along with equipment and paver's
    Water trucked in were on well system in Florida:)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Happy1 View Post
    I live in Florida and had to have Palms. The first year I was here it was record lows for my area. It got down to low 20's at night. We went to Palm farms and it destroyed a lot of the crops. But I didn't plant until the next year. I have Royal Palms, Canary Palm, Foxtail, and Christmas Tree Palms. I had to have the Palms because I came from Indiana and that was my dream. They have done great. Even temperatures getting around 30's I haven't had a problem. I keep them watered in the dry season, fertilize, and i like nitrogen to make them healthy.
    Sorry Husband added picture. LOL
    Roman Style IG 14X28, Gunite Pool and Screen Cage
    11600 gallons, 3.5 ft - 6.0 ft SWG TF100 Kit:)
    Spa with spill over, tanning ledge, swim bench
    Finish TBD, along with equipment and paver's
    Water trucked in were on well system in Florida:)

15. Back To Top    #15

We are in North Texas. We have 2 Windmill palms, a Pindo palm, and a needle palm. All are growing just fine. Here's a link that I have shared before.
    http://dallaspalms.com/images/hardyp...20ProTools.htm
    Recently I got some baby Sable palms that will take a long time to grow up. The parent tree was amazing and growing in Dallas. We have some cold hardy bananas that grow back every year. We also planted different varieties of canna lilies.
    Have fun designing and planting your tropical oasis!
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

16. Back To Top    #16

Most everything arrived today. They started the back and will finish and do the front tomorrow. Here's a sneak peek.

17. Back To Top    #17

18. Back To Top    #18

What fun! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Here's where we are so far...

20. Back To Top    #20

great job!
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast