I'm a freak for details! New Pool Build Help

Sep 3, 2014
Forney, TX
I am about to sign contracts with what I believe to be a great pool builder that I have really researched. I have poured through the TFP and have read several times to ensure you (me) get all model numbers etc. In addition, on the contract it only lists the main items, and in small print says "...oral representations of salesman which are not made a part of this contract are not binding." So my question is, do I have to get every single detail in a contract? I created a spreadsheet with every category I could think of. Can you tell me if there is anything I could be missing? Basically, this is the first column and then I have the coo responding "answer" next to each inquiry. Below are all the details I could think of. Or am I being a freak???

What
Pool
Plans and Permits
Design
Pool Type
Pool Size
Pool Area
Pool Perimeter
Pool & Spa Perimeter
Pool Depth
Pool Capacity
Stairs/ Steps
Drains
Excavation
Remove and Replace Fencing
Removal of Dirt
Water Features
Tanning Ledge
Bubblers
Waterfall size
Stone on/in boxbeam
Stone around coping
Benches
Spillover type from spa
Spa
Spa Size
Spa Area
Spa Perimeter
Spa Capacity
Spa Depth
Spa Elevation from Pool
Spa Bench Depth
Spa Bench Height
Spa Water Features
Number of spa jets and location
Type of spa jets
Spa Fountain
Spa Drains- Pipe Size
Spa Returns- Pipe Size
Venturi method
Materials
Pool Tile
Pool Coping- Grade A Flagstone
Spa Tile
Spa Coping
Spa Veneer
All Stone Sealed?
Decking
Pavers
Stamped Concrete
Acid Stained
Salt
Hand Seeded Aggregate
Decking sqft
Deck Drains
Deck Turndowns
Plumbing
Final Diagram of plumbing routing
PVC Type
Pool Run to Equipment
Spa Run to Equipment
90 Degree Bends?
Skimmers With locations
Skimmers covers
Main Drain
Spa Drain
Spa Plumbing
Pool Plumbing
Pool Returns
Backwash Line P-Trap size line
Auto-fill
Overflow
Pool Cleaner Plumb
Drainage Line
Lights
Pool
Spa
Equipment Pad
Tanning Ledge Globright
Equipment
Pool Pump With Part Number
Filter With Part Number
Chlorine Generator With Part Number
Heater With Part Number
Spa Blower With Part Number
Cleaning Kit With Part Number
Test Kit with part number
Umbrella Sleeves
Volley Ball Ties
Water Feature Pump With Part Number
Valve Types With Part Number
Filter Valve
Sanitizer Type
SWG
Automatic cleaner with part number
Water Meter?
Equipment Pad- Plastic or Concrete
Fence around equipment
Light at Equipment Pad
Automation
Intellitouch 8 function
Screenlogic 2 522104
Utilities
Moving Utilities
HOA Help
Electrical/ Gas
Gas Run to Spa
Freeze Protection
GFCI
Wire Control to lights
Wiring
Bonding Grounding
Controls
Pool Shell
Electrical to pool bonding
Shotcrete
Gunite or Shotcrete
Plaster finish
Concrete Depth
PSI
Steel
Rebar
Box Beam
Pool Bowl
Pool Floor
Spa Bowl
Options
Equipment Fence
Helical Piers* (7) Up to 10’ each
Chemical Injection Stabilizer
Electronic Controller Upgrade
Salt / Ozone System Upgrade
Decking to Flagstone
Waterfall Pump
Pea Gravel under shell
Sump Pump from gravel
Sprinkler Repair
Sod Repair
Pool Startup
Landscape
Final Grading
Yard Grade
Construction access grading
broken pipes from heavy equipment
Misc.
Change Orders

Guarantees

Pretty much all of those items are important and should be covered. You have some dupes, equip light twice, swg and chlorine generator and sanitizer type are all the same. There are a few references to a cleaner, consider skipping a suction or pressure cleaner and just get a robot.

Are you sure about piers? I live in the middle of black clay also and I ruled them out. My PB who has been building pools in DFW for 40 years is completely against them. Oir pool moved the first winter, the deck started to heave away from the pool shell and the plaster cracked. The key to managing soil movement in this black clay is consistent soil moisture levels. We installed a micro irrigation system around the pool and monitor it fairly closely. Everything moved back where it belongs and we have kept it pretty well under control since then.

Thanks for the input. Ill kill the duplicates. I've pretty much ruled out piers, as I only believe them to be effective if drilled into bedrock, which is >30' into my black clay yard. So, I think I am going with ESSL 3000 Chemical Injections because they have certified studies on paper regarding the effectiveness. Soil Stabilization | ESSL - Environmental | EcSS 3000 - Proven Expansive Clay Soil Stabilization Technology | Soil Stabilization | Highway Soil Stabilization | Concrete Paving Stabilization | Asphalt Paving Stabilization | Residential Foundation Stabilization | Road Construction Soil Stabilization | Distressed Foundations | Commercial Foundation Construction I believe in this technology and it will help me sleep for about four k.

I like the robot thing, but just not sure about getting it out and into the water each day. Would rather just have my pressure side do it on an automated schedule. (Dang I'm lazy!)

you might ask the PB if he will sign your Bill of Materials and attach it to the contract. Or if he wont attach it to the contract, at least sign his name to it as acknowledgement that these are the specific materials he is to supply and install.

IMO, by going with a BOM like you've created (btw, good job on that), there shouldn't be any disagreements in what you "expected" to get and what the PB intended to provide you.

That is a good point about being able to leave the robot in the pool. Seems like most folks don't put their robots in the pool every day. I still have a suction cleaner and it stays in the pool a lot. I'm sure some robot fans will chime in, we have a lot of them.

It is VERY smart to have it all laid out for when they try to put in a tiny filter..........you pull out your contract and remind them of what you should be getting "oh sorry about that". Not saying they will but we have seen it time and time again so.........

Kim

Theoretically you shouldn't leave any cleaner in your pool consistently. You will certainly go through your wear parts quicker. Robotic cleaners should be emptied after every cycle for the good of the bags and pumps. They are just like any other tools, the better you care for them the longer they will last. If I was going to run something non stop I would look towards a Polaris or something similar but this is really why in floor systems were designed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.