Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm a freak for details! New Pool Build Help

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm a freak for details! New Pool Build Help

I am about to sign contracts with what I believe to be a great pool builder that I have really researched. I have poured through the TFP and have read several times to ensure you (me) get all model numbers etc. In addition, on the contract it only lists the main items, and in small print says "...oral representations of salesman which are not made a part of this contract are not binding." So my question is, do I have to get every single detail in a contract? I created a spreadsheet with every category I could think of. Can you tell me if there is anything I could be missing? Basically, this is the first column and then I have the coo responding "answer" next to each inquiry. Below are all the details I could think of. Or am I being a freak???

What
    Pool
    Plans and Permits
    Design
    Pool Type
    Pool Size
    Pool Area
    Pool Perimeter
    Pool & Spa Perimeter
    Pool Depth
    Pool Capacity
    Stairs/ Steps
    Drains
    Excavation
    Remove and Replace Fencing
    Removal of Dirt
    Water Features
    Tanning Ledge
    Bubblers
    Waterfall size
    Stone on/in boxbeam
    Stone around coping
    Benches
    Spillover type from spa
    Spa
    Spa Size
    Spa Area
    Spa Perimeter
    Spa Capacity
    Spa Depth
    Spa Elevation from Pool
    Spa Bench Depth
    Spa Bench Height
    Spa Water Features
    Number of spa jets and location
    Type of spa jets
    Spa Fountain
    Spa Drains- Pipe Size
    Spa Returns- Pipe Size
    Venturi method
    Materials
    Pool Tile
    Pool Coping- Grade A Flagstone
    Spa Tile
    Spa Coping
    Spa Veneer
    All Stone Sealed?
    Decking
    Pavers
    Stamped Concrete
    Acid Stained
    Salt
    Hand Seeded Aggregate
    Decking sqft
    Deck Drains
    Deck Turndowns
    Plumbing
    Final Diagram of plumbing routing
    PVC Type
    Pool Run to Equipment
    Spa Run to Equipment
    90 Degree Bends?
    Skimmers With locations
    Skimmers covers
    Main Drain
    Spa Drain
    Spa Plumbing
    Pool Plumbing
    Pool Returns
    Backwash Line P-Trap size line
    Auto-fill
    Overflow
    Pool Cleaner Plumb
    Drainage Line
    Lights
    Pool
    Spa
    Equipment Pad
    Tanning Ledge Globright
    Equipment
    Pool Pump With Part Number
    Filter With Part Number
    Chlorine Generator With Part Number
    Heater With Part Number
    Spa Blower With Part Number
    Cleaning Kit With Part Number
    Test Kit with part number
    Umbrella Sleeves
    Volley Ball Ties
    Water Feature Pump With Part Number
    Valve Types With Part Number
    Filter Valve
    Sanitizer Type
    SWG
    Automatic cleaner with part number
    Water Meter?
    Equipment Pad- Plastic or Concrete
    Fence around equipment
    Light at Equipment Pad
    Automation
    Intellitouch 8 function
    Screenlogic 2 522104
    Utilities
    Moving Utilities
    HOA Help
    Electrical/ Gas
    Gas Run to Spa
    Freeze Protection
    GFCI
    Wire Control to lights
    Wiring
    Bonding Grounding
    Controls
    Pool Shell
    Electrical to pool bonding
    Shotcrete
    Gunite or Shotcrete
    Plaster finish
    Concrete Depth
    PSI
    Steel
    Rebar
    Box Beam
    Pool Bowl
    Pool Floor
    Spa Bowl
    Options
    Equipment Fence
    Helical Piers* (7) Up to 10 each
    Chemical Injection Stabilizer
    Electronic Controller Upgrade
    Salt / Ozone System Upgrade
    Decking to Flagstone
    Waterfall Pump
    Pea Gravel under shell
    Sump Pump from gravel
    Sprinkler Repair
    Sod Repair
    Pool Startup
    Landscape
    Final Grading
    Yard Grade
    Construction access grading
    broken pipes from heavy equipment
    Misc.
    Change Orders

Guarantees

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm a freak for details! New Pool Build Help

Pretty much all of those items are important and should be covered. You have some dupes, equip light twice, swg and chlorine generator and sanitizer type are all the same. There are a few references to a cleaner, consider skipping a suction or pressure cleaner and just get a robot.

Are you sure about piers? I live in the middle of black clay also and I ruled them out. My PB who has been building pools in DFW for 40 years is completely against them. Oir pool moved the first winter, the deck started to heave away from the pool shell and the plaster cracked. The key to managing soil movement in this black clay is consistent soil moisture levels. We installed a micro irrigation system around the pool and monitor it fairly closely. Everything moved back where it belongs and we have kept it pretty well under control since then.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the input. Ill kill the duplicates. I've pretty much ruled out piers, as I only believe them to be effective if drilled into bedrock, which is >30' into my black clay yard. So, I think I am going with ESSL 3000 Chemical Injections because they have certified studies on paper regarding the effectiveness. Soil Stabilization | ESSL - Environmental | EcSS 3000 - Proven Expansive Clay Soil Stabilization Technology | Soil Stabilization | Highway Soil Stabilization | Concrete Paving Stabilization | Asphalt Paving Stabilization | Residential Foundation Stabilization | Road Construction Soil Stabilization | Distressed Foundations | Commercial Foundation Construction I believe in this technology and it will help me sleep for about four k.

I like the robot thing, but just not sure about getting it out and into the water each day. Would rather just have my pressure side do it on an automated schedule. (Dang I'm lazy!)

4. Back To Top    #4

you might ask the PB if he will sign your Bill of Materials and attach it to the contract. Or if he wont attach it to the contract, at least sign his name to it as acknowledgement that these are the specific materials he is to supply and install.

IMO, by going with a BOM like you've created (btw, good job on that), there shouldn't be any disagreements in what you "expected" to get and what the PB intended to provide you.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a good point about being able to leave the robot in the pool. Seems like most folks don't put their robots in the pool every day. I still have a suction cleaner and it stays in the pool a lot. I'm sure some robot fans will chime in, we have a lot of them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

It is VERY smart to have it all laid out for when they try to put in a tiny filter..........you pull out your contract and remind them of what you should be getting "oh sorry about that". Not saying they will but we have seen it time and time again so.........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Beernut0875 View Post
    Would rather just have my pressure side do it on an automated schedule. (Dang I'm lazy!)
    My cleaner has been in the pool for four years now and is still going strong, during that time it has been taken out only when we have alot of people over, prob a total of 20 days.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    My cleaner has been in the pool for four years now and is still going strong, during that time it has been taken out only when we have alot of people over, prob a total of 20 days.
    Robot or pressure side?

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't think you are supposed to just leave robots in the pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Theoretically you shouldn't leave any cleaner in your pool consistently. You will certainly go through your wear parts quicker. Robotic cleaners should be emptied after every cycle for the good of the bags and pumps. They are just like any other tools, the better you care for them the longer they will last. If I was going to run something non stop I would look towards a Polaris or something similar but this is really why in floor systems were designed.
    Duck's Swimming Pool Service & Repair
    Winchester, Virginia

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Also I don't use the robot every day. I kind of treat it like a hand vac and just use it when needed.
    Duck's Swimming Pool Service & Repair
    Winchester, Virginia