Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

Hi Ya'll,

In the design phase of an OB IG pool in Pflugerville Texas. Everyone in central Texas picked up on that from my title.

Had a pool built by PB about 20 years ago in the same neighborhood so this time have decided to do it ourselves to get what we want and save some money.
    Been following Andy's, Jamie's, and ummgood's builds and have taken notes. You guys and everyone on this forum are fantastic, I've enjoyed it and learned allot.

Some basics until I get some build drawing to post. We are building an IG freeform gunite SWG pool.

91' perimeter, ~480 sq ft area
    Freeform shape, 18' x 34'
    3.5' - 5' -4' deep
    3' x 8' waterfall feature
    ~ 510 sq ft concrete and sundek or similar decking
    Some additional flagstone and composite decking as well
    Sealed Oklahoma flagstone coping
    Minipebble Wet Edge or similar surface. Either Antigua or Northshore Carribean
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump 011018
    2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Color LED Pool lights
    Bubbler
    Pentair Easy Touch Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator
    ScreenLogic Interface
    2 main drains
    5 returns
    Pentair Racer Cleaner w/ pump

Thanks Jamie for the template

That's it for the first run. Nothings been ordered yet so I can still change my mind.

Main areas of concern:

Using Oklahoma Flagstone with Salt Water in central Texas. More people than not have warned me against this but this is the look we want. So if I replace all the coping in 8 years. so be it. I'll consider it a learning experience.
    Plan on sealing it and maintaining proper pool balance. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it work or alternatives.

1 or 2 skimmers, not sure, and how important is placement if I only use one?

Never had a SWG pool but said if I ever had another pool it would be salt so I will be reading and re-reading all the TFP 101 stuff.

That is all for now and I'm looking forward to the ride or swim I guess is more appropriate.

-Chris
    Planning Stage of OB IG Pool, 18x34 freeform gunite (14k gal) pebble surface, OK flagstone coping, 510sf concrete deck w/ Sun Deck coating, Pentair VS-3hp pump, 420 Pure & Clean cart filter, Easy Touch w/IC40 SWG, ScreenLogic Interface, Pentair Racer w/booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

Sounds awesome! 2 skimmers for sure (I LOVE having 2) - I have tons of flagstone and moss rock - due to the "fear" we didn't go with saltwater. -I have no opinion other than I was warned over and over as well - and just didn't want to chance it.

My pool was built last summer so I am very inexperienced still - but I don't see anything in your wants that you can't make happen. EXCITING!!!!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

From what I have read on here not all OK flagstone is created equal, some is much softer than others, something perhaps to keep in mind when it comes time to buy.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

OH yeah! Another pool to build!

Lets start with MY wish list------a picture of where it is going to go!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I am going into season 4 here in Austin with salt water and Oklahoma flagstone. No problems yet. I seal every year and rinse the stone weekly (During season). Most stressful decision when we built the pool. We had the same approach.....loved the look and so be it, we can always replace the stone if we ever need to. Of course I have two kids in college now so if I ever need to I hope it is after they both graduate!
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

6. Back To Top    #6

I am over 3-1/2 years in on OK flag and salt. Not sealed. My flag looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when installed. At this point I am no longer concerned about premature failure. There are definitely multiple types of OK flagstone. My PB, lives down the street, has had his flag and salt a lot longer. More about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.

2 skimmers, one downwind for spring winds and one downwind for fall winds.

Might as well get the c&c520, there is no such thing as too big a filter. When it comes time to get new cartridges get Pleatco, they have better flow, clean easier, last longer and cost less.

My 3-1/2 is too shallow. It is the only thing I would change about my pool, it would be 4x5x4. Oh, I would also increase the water depth on my sun shelf from 6ish to 10ish.

Everything else looks good. Put some benches around the pool for kids to play on and adults to sit and sip tasty, cold beverages.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

2 skimmers for sure opposite of each of their prevalent wind direction depending on the season. I have 1 in my NW corner for summer and 1 in my SE corner for winter. Flagstone will wear down no matter what you have. The only thing I can say is that some of my pieces are a slightly different color and we see no wear on them at all. All of the others you can see wear on the under side from being splashed. Good Luck on your build.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

8. Back To Top    #8

"originally posted by Skylar18" Re: Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

I am going into season 4 here in Austin with salt water and Oklahoma flagstone. No problems yet. I seal every year and rinse the stone weekly (During season). Most stressful decision when we built the pool. We had the same approach.....loved the look and so be it, we can always replace the stone if we ever need to. Of course I have two kids in college now so if I ever need to I hope it is after they both graduate!

Thanks for the comments and inspiration! I just glanced at your thread and was inspired by your build. Still am planning on sealed flagstone and have been advised to stay away from the pink tones as they tend to be softer. I'm sure I'll ask you more about your decking around your tree as we have one that is right in the middle of our entertainment area. We took two smaller ones out and can not bear to loose any others. Trying to get the design finalized and sent out for bids this weekend or early next week. Then going to the Bahamas to do some reading (TFP) and dreaming so I'll make sure to read your build thread there .

-Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    OH yeah! Another pool to build!

Lets start with MY wish list------a picture of where it is going to go!

Kim
    Keep the ideas and wishes coming! That's what I like about this group, No holding back. I'll try and get layout pics posted this weekend.

I'm also going with two skimmers for all that suggested that. Getting excited!

-Chris
    Planning Stage of OB IG Pool, 18x34 freeform gunite (14k gal) pebble surface, OK flagstone coping, 510sf concrete deck w/ Sun Deck coating, Pentair VS-3hp pump, 420 Pure & Clean cart filter, Easy Touch w/IC40 SWG, ScreenLogic Interface, Pentair Racer w/booster pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Chris, I'm with you as far as getting what you want. If it needs replacing so be it. Doesn't sound like an issue though and besides nothing lasts forever. I'm doing an outdoor bbq and counter space and we decided on soapstone counters b/c we want them (I'll admit granite is more durable). If we have to replace in 10 yrs we will. Granted if you knew you'd only get 3 years out of it can be a deciding factor but to replace after 10 vs 20 for something you don't like as much, I say it's the cost of doing business.

I agree with the 2nd skimmer too.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I am over 3-1/2 years in on OK flag and salt. Not sealed. My flag looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when installed. At this point I am no longer concerned about premature failure. There are definitely multiple types of OK flagstone. My PB, lives down the street, has had his flag and salt a lot longer. More about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.

2 skimmers, one downwind for spring winds and one downwind for fall winds.

Might as well get the c&c520, there is no such thing as too big a filter. When it comes time to get new cartridges get Pleatco, they have better flow, clean easier, last longer and cost less.

My 3-1/2 is too shallow. It is the only thing I would change about my pool, it would be 4x5x4. Oh, I would also increase the water depth on my sun shelf from 6ish to 10ish.

Everything else looks good. Put some benches around the pool for kids to play on and adults to sit and sip tasty, cold beverages.
    I'll consider going with the larger filter as a lot of comments I see recommend this. Think it's about a $170 upgrade over the clean & clear 420 . We have decided to go with 2 skimmers, one at each end offset from center.

Our designer said if we go deeper the 3.5' we will need to add an extra step off the sun shelf which will extend out into the pool. I'd like to go to 4' but we want to use it for volleyball and lap swimming so don't think I want another step further out into the pool.

As far as the sun shelf he has it at 6" and said you add 3" for coping and 3" for tile above water line which makes the step off the deck into the sun shelf 12".
    If we go to 8" we would have a 14" step into the sun shelf.

All you that have sun shelfs what are your experiences between 6", 8", or 10" of water in the sun shelf?

This is really the last decision we need to make to get the final build drawing other than the color of the minipebble.

Appreciate all the feedback.

11. Back To Top    #11

IMO 6" seems like wasted pool space. Take out a ruler stand it straight up and think.. what would you do in just 6" of water? I've got a step down to my ledge which I'm guessing is about ~15" or so. I can sit down with legs straight out and be chest high while leaning back on the wall. Little kids can play in this depth, and bigger kids can swim up onto it.

This is also my first pool, so I'm just imagining it all this way, but I can't imagine how I'd get much enjoyment out of a 6" ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Explorer View Post
    I'll consider going with the larger filter as a lot of comments I see recommend this. Think it's about a $170 upgrade over the clean & clear 420 . We have decided to go with 2 skimmers, one at each end offset from center.

Our designer said if we go deeper the 3.5' we will need to add an extra step off the sun shelf which will extend out into the pool. I'd like to go to 4' but we want to use it for volleyball and lap swimming so don't think I want another step further out into the pool.

As far as the sun shelf he has it at 6" and said you add 3" for coping and 3" for tile above water line which makes the step off the deck into the sun shelf 12".
    If we go to 8" we would have a 14" step into the sun shelf.

All you that have sun shelfs what are your experiences between 6", 8", or 10" of water in the sun shelf?

This is really the last decision we need to make to get the final build drawing other than the color of the minipebble.

Appreciate all the feedback.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

Our water is 6" deep on the sun shelf and I think 8 or 9 would be better. I like the shelf a lot more than I thought I would, even shallow. Interesting point in the extra step for 3-1/2' vs 4'. Maybe they slope it to 4' quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

pooldesign.jpg

Current plan as it is today. Only planned change will be to rotate right skimmer in towards light as it is positioned on the left.

Let me know if you see something I am over looking or haven't considered, or if you have any questions.

Working on the overall backyard landscape plan and will post soon. Was asked to show the pool layout in the yard but the rope did not show very well and I want to get the design finalized before it gets painted for excavation.

My plan is to send out for bids early next week. Let me know what ya think!

-Chris

14. Back To Top    #14

That looks good! I like the benches, they are great for kids and adults.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Love the bathroom by the pool. Is that a door into it from outside so they do not have to go through the pool house?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

It looks like your skimmers are tied together. Ideally, it would be good to have them separate so you can control them separately.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bradj View Post
    IMO 6" seems like wasted pool space. Take out a ruler stand it straight up and think.. what would you do in just 6" of water? I've got a step down to my ledge which I'm guessing is about ~15" or so. I can sit down with legs straight out and be chest high while leaning back on the wall. Little kids can play in this depth, and bigger kids can swim up onto it.

This is also my first pool, so I'm just imagining it all this way, but I can't imagine how I'd get much enjoyment out of a 6" ledge.

Brad, We want to be able to use Ledge Loungers from http://www..ledgelounger.com or similar to set on the sun shelf with a bubbler in between and tables to kick back and relax. If someone knows a comparable but more cost friendly alternative please clue us in as they are quite proud of their product.

Just trying to determine if want to go with 7" or 8" over the 6" our designer put in the plan.

Good luck with your build.

-Chris

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    It looks like your skimmers are tied together. Ideally, it would be good to have them separate so you can control them separately.
    Hi Jamie,

Is there a benefit from being able to shut one or the other down? I imagine it costs more to plumb them separately? I can not think of why I would want to shut one down but that's why I'm here to reap all the knowledge of you that have done this before.

Thanks,

Chris

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Explorer View Post
    Hi Jamie,

Is there a benefit from being able to shut one or the other down? I imagine it costs more to plumb them separately? I can not think of why I would want to shut one down but that's why I'm here to reap all the knowledge of you that have done this before.

Thanks,

Chris
    Hi Chris! Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I think having them separate just gives you more control and perhaps evens out their suction? Yes, it does cost more to plumb that way, but jn the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot. I know mine were done separately, but now I can't remember specifically why!

I think the bigger concern is keeping the main drain separate from the skimmers, and you have that.
    Jamie
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

20. Back To Top    #20

Control...........it is all about control. It is best to have both skimmers and the main drain plumped on their own all the way back to the pad with each one having it's own valve. There will be times you only want one skimmer going like when you use a manual vacuum to get the last of the dirt your cleaner did not get or the leaves on the bottom that go away.

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast