Intex Sand Filter Backwash Question

dazz

Feb 18, 2016
new zealand
I have got an intex 16 foot above ground pool and each time i have been doing a backwash sand comes out thru the exit point of the pump, it says you are supposed to turn pump on when doing backwash but if i do so the sand flies out thru the outlet and if i let it continue to go out then there would be no sand left in the housing. even just with it on backwash and the cap off with pump off sand still comes out. intex nz sent me a new pump which i assembled yesterday and the new one does the same thing.. has anyone else had this issue? the pump is a sand filter pump model SF90220 .

Welcome dazz. I'm not very fluent on sand filters but someone will be along to help you.

Inside your filter there are plastic pieces called laterals. If these get cracked they can allow sand through. They are just plastic so it's not hard to break them when you fill it with sand. I don't have a diagram for the intex but I'll post a photo of a hayward filter so you can visualize what I'm talking about.

542fdcc4ea7ea383bc36c5600e5f2c89.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.