My pool is concrete block that is all tile. I found a bad area that was leaking after removal of tile found roots have grown up through the cavity of the block. It has created a large hole and crack on the block inside, plus cravity is void of dirt and cement mush. Just looking for a few suggestions.

Some overall pictures of the pool and some pictures of the problem area woul be good.

How old is the pool?

Is it cement (gunite) ? If so does it have steel rebar as a reinforcing cage?

Is it concrete block? Something else?

Did you build it?

Some more info and pictures will give us a start.

Hole in pool wall

Concrete block wall with tile finish. Roots have come through and penetrated inside pool under tile and destroyed inside block cavity and put holes in the wall. Looking to fill with cement but what type. Any suggesting to fix are welcome. I live in a warm climate 70 is the lowest temp I have seen in years. So no issues with freeze thaw.
ccc0d08499431b1a3a2bdcd2ed4a1a50.jpg
c7378d306effed7d35ed464446bc5679.jpg
8226db4ea7266f39315e97b11aee4a82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Hole in pool wall

Welcome to TFP!

If you are sure you have all the roots out of the cracked and broken area, I think you can repair that.

You will need to get enough hydraulic cement from your local masonry supplier. A good thing to help with the sealing of the holes would be what I've always known as concrete bonding agent -- a white milky fluid you paint onto the surfaces of the concrete you are repairing.

For the larger deeper holes, you can use a sand topping mix, essentially a sand and portland mix. Add just enough water to make a loose mortar then fill the spaces to within 2" of the surface. Complete the repairs with the hydraulic cement, then replace the lost tiles.

Re: Hole in pool wall

The type of concrete should make no difference......unless I am missing something??

It is important to "pin" both sides of the hole so new concrete will hold both sides together

As Dave says above you want to fill the void with concrete. Any good high strength concrete will do. Some would pin or staple the edges. I would try to eliminate the source of the roots
Are all the blocks filled with concrete? Is there any rebar?

Thank to everyone for the help.I am planning on spraying whole area inside with some ground clear plant killer. the only vegetation around is at least 20 feet away with poured concrete completely around pool. I am little concerned because the pool wall is about a 4 feet from the cistern wall. Need something strong to make sure whatever the plant is is gone. The tiny fibrous are in the concert block but detach from the main root that came through the back side of the block. The whole cavity of block where cement is poured down is vacant from about a foot under the light down. I Am planning to dig down further and vacuum the debris out. Do you think screwing wood to the face up to top big hole and pouring quick kreet mortar mix down to fills and finishing top hole with hydraulic cement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.