Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Big Hole

1. Back To Top    #1

Big Hole

My pool is concrete block that is all tile. I found a bad area that was leaking after removal of tile found roots have grown up through the cavity of the block. It has created a large hole and crack on the block inside, plus cravity is void of dirt and cement mush. Just looking for a few suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big Hole

No suggestions - but wow, so sorry!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

OH NO! Do you have a few pictures of the hole and area so we can see what we are working with?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Some overall pictures of the pool and some pictures of the problem area woul be good.

How old is the pool?

Is it cement (gunite) ? If so does it have steel rebar as a reinforcing cage?

Is it concrete block? Something else?

Did you build it?

Some more info and pictures will give us a start.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Hole in pool wall

Concrete block wall with tile finish. Roots have come through and penetrated inside pool under tile and destroyed inside block cavity and put holes in the wall. Looking to fill with cement but what type. Any suggesting to fix are welcome. I live in a warm climate 70 is the lowest temp I have seen in years. So no issues with freeze thaw.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Hole in pool wall

Welcome to TFP!

If you are sure you have all the roots out of the cracked and broken area, I think you can repair that.

You will need to get enough hydraulic cement from your local masonry supplier. A good thing to help with the sealing of the holes would be what I've always known as concrete bonding agent -- a white milky fluid you paint onto the surfaces of the concrete you are repairing.

For the larger deeper holes, you can use a sand topping mix, essentially a sand and portland mix. Add just enough water to make a loose mortar then fill the spaces to within 2" of the surface. Complete the repairs with the hydraulic cement, then replace the lost tiles.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Usvipoolsteve,

Ask your question in one thread only.....very confusing otherwise.

I have merged them for you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Re: Hole in pool wall

The type of concrete should make no difference......unless I am missing something??

It is important to "pin" both sides of the hole so new concrete will hold both sides together
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

As Dave says above you want to fill the void with concrete. Any good high strength concrete will do. Some would pin or staple the edges. I would try to eliminate the source of the roots
    Are all the blocks filled with concrete? Is there any rebar?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Big Hole

Thank to everyone for the help.I am planning on spraying whole area inside with some ground clear plant killer. the only vegetation around is at least 20 feet away with poured concrete completely around pool. I am little concerned because the pool wall is about a 4 feet from the cistern wall. Need something strong to make sure whatever the plant is is gone. The tiny fibrous are in the concert block but detach from the main root that came through the back side of the block. The whole cavity of block where cement is poured down is vacant from about a foot under the light down. I Am planning to dig down further and vacuum the debris out. Do you think screwing wood to the face up to top big hole and pouring quick kreet mortar mix down to fills and finishing top hole with hydraulic cement?

11. Back To Top    #11

You need a high strength mix. The tile provides the waterproof membrane so wether it's hydraulic cement doesn't matter. Does the pool have any rebar?

12. Back To Top    #12

I haven't found any rebar. I thought there would have been. I went to the pool company that had been taking care of it and found they dove the pool for leaks in 2007 and put some A B epoxy In that area.

13. Back To Top    #13

That is very interesting.........that suggest you might want to go a step further to fix it for good.

Now what that step is I have NO idea!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Think that would involve removing concrete blocks and replace them as well digging through deck and to get to back of wall. I have been working at getting ready to do the repair. I will post pic of progress and Finnish

15. Back To Top    #15

Yea I've sat here and thought about what you could do to prevent re-occurrence. Nothing simple.

16. Back To Top    #16

I look forward to seeing this. I am SO glad it is not me but sorry you need to do it......Do a step by step if you can so others can learn from you and what you are having to do.

Kim