Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a good hand vaccum, any recs

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a good hand vaccum, any recs

Hey, I have an inground spa with spillover basin right below a tree that constantly dumps tiny leaves in it. I could really use a good vacuum rec. Ideally looking for a powered vac not a wand (have one, not impressed). Or has anyone used a pond vacuum instead?

thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a good hand vaccum, any recs

Well, I love our PoolBlaster Max for use in the spa as well as quick clean ups in the pool. Its got a rechargeable battery, not electric but its powerful.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you had it for awhile? I heard they seem to die in under a year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Admittedly we are on our second one, but it serves its function so well it was worth getting another. I'm not sure even why the first died? I wonder if it was left charging too long and it messed up the battery.

Since we have an automatic cover on our pool, this small vac is all we need to tidy the pool up. I hated dragging the big hose set up out for small clean ups.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Admittedly we are on our second one, but it serves its function so well it was worth getting another. I'm not sure even why the first died? I wonder if it was left charging too long and it messed up the battery.

Since we have an automatic cover on our pool, this small vac is all we need to tidy the pool up. I hated dragging the big hose set up out for small clean ups.
    After the first year of dragging the hose around I got the poolblaster max.
    going on the 4th year and havent had a problem.
    I alwways open it up and let it dry in the sun lying it at different angles.
    I do double up on the filter bag useing a skimmer sock and the very fine bag you can get for poolblaster since it doesnt do great with the fine silt/dust.
    On a good charge it will last with a fast run about 30 min or so and gradually slowly die out makeing pick up not so good.I also have heard people say they last about 1 - years.
    they still dont use the litium type battery which I think would be a big plus, since the continual run as a cad battery does is uselessanyway since its took weak to pick anything up.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool Blaster Max----hands down. On my second one in 6 years and I'll happily buy another if it dies tomorrow. It's that good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a small inflatable spa, but I love my QuickVac. It's inexpensive, got no moving parts - just a siphon action with a long clear tube so you can see the debris you're picking up. However, it does send the debris and water out the other end of the hose so that may not work for you.

Amazon.com : Backyard Innovations Quick Vac Spa Vacuum : Swimming Pool Handheld Vacuums : Patio, Lawn Garden

8. Back To Top    #8

I second the Pool Blaster. We've only had it one season, but it works like a champ! As stated before if it dies tomorrow is buy another one. I think my wife picked it up at Costco for $90 bucks.

9. Back To Top    #9

I use a great little hand siphon type vacuum. Got it at Home Depot for 2.99. I made a cheesecloth bag to attach to the outflow hose and it works like a champ.
    2015 Bullfrog 131 180 gal Spa Indoor, TFP bromine fed, Taylor K-2106
    2012 2500 gal. Round vinyl AG Pool, Hayward Easy Clear Filter System, chlorine
    1994 Rubbermaid 175 gal horse tub, still looking for advice on algae problem.