Would This Help (Pool Skimmer)??

20160218_103401_zpsd5zx5rso.jpg

The tree on the extreme right is the evil one. Dumps loads of leaves every day!

20160218_103454_zpsarcdwt96.jpg

IMHO, and I'm in about the same situation, no..... hand skimming, robot, and vacuuming are your biggest guns. Backed up with the skimmer sock... which we just dumped, and in 24 hours it was matted with pollen and other vegetative xxx rated detritus. Positive outlook is that Spring is on its way....

I soooo feel your pain. I have a city right of way directly behind my house with tons of oaks and pines that hang over my pool. The city won't even let me pay to cut them down. I often wonder what dummy would have built a pool under them then wonder what dummy would buy a house with a pool under them...yep that'd be me. I've tried everything, tarps and leaf nets when pool isn't in use. Can't use the pool skim since my filter doesn't support the hook up. I run my filter 8 hrs a day but it could use 24 hrs a day. It's a none stop battle and I haven't found a solution even when the leaves stop falling, they still fall. Please let me know if you find a solution! Wish I could help.

So hellstorm2004, it really sounds like a circulation issue:
The leaves, seeds, just float to the "dead" part of the pool and just keep floating there.
Just a thought ... if you could post a top view pic of your pool and that specific area or post a diagram, the members reading might get an idea or two of how to help stir-up that "dead area" you were referring to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I soooo feel your pain. I have a city right of way directly behind my house with tons of oaks and pines that hang over my pool. The city won't even let me pay to cut them down. I often wonder what dummy would have built a pool under them then wonder what dummy would buy a house with a pool under them...yep that'd be me. I've tried everything, tarps and leaf nets when pool isn't in use. Can't use the pool skim since my filter doesn't support the hook up. I run my filter 8 hrs a day but it could use 24 hrs a day. It's a none stop battle and I haven't found a solution even when the leaves stop falling, they still fall. Please let me know if you find a solution! Wish I could help.

I will. When I bought the house, I didn't even have a clue what pool maintenance is like. I have got the basics right now. So my judgement was mostly of an illiterate. :p

But the park is nice. Kids playing and all. :)

Just no good single moms! :D

I definitely see your problem. I've seen it with other members just like this. Even if all the jets were pointed clockwise, or counter-clockwise, there is going to be a tough spot to get circulation. The area near the steps is especially common. I'll do some poking around for ideas, or others may chime in. I can't recall what was suggested before about tucked-in areas like your steps. In the meantime, I suspect a little extra diligence will be the prescription (or more cowbell) to keep that water from getting too stagnant. Oh, and perhaps you might want to consider on one or two of the returns replacing the original eyeball with a 45 or 90 degree fitting. Might give you better reach of water placement.

I will. When I bought the house, I didn't even have a clue what pool maintenance is like. I have got the basics right now. So my judgement was mostly of an illiterate. :p

But the park is nice. Kids playing and all. :)

Just no good single moms! :D

I wasn't aware of the maintenance needed with trees either. The pool I grew up with didn't have any trees around it. Thunderstorms are my worst nightmare and even bring me to tears.

Installing a jet near the steps? Would that cost a bomb??
Sure, but I'm not suggesting running new lines (although that would be nice in a perfect world). Just consider replacing the eyeballs on the existing jets (or try a couple of them). Fitting them with 45 or 90 degree PVC fittings to help angle the water better. Others have done it with good success.

I saw a robot floating leaf skimmer online a few months ago. It looked liked it actually worked from the video that was posted. If I find it will post the link.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a robot floating leaf skimmer online a few months ago. It looked liked it actually worked from the video that was posted. If I find it will post the link. Here it is Swimming Pool Skimmers | Solar-Breeze Robotic Floating Pool Skimmer

I think pointing all the eyeballs counter clockwise and a couple of ewkearns 90 degree eyeballs would help a lot.

We have a TON of trees. When they are busy, spring and fall, we run the VS pump 24x7 at low RPM, 1100 rpm. The VS pump only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. With electricity rates at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run my pump 24x7. It helps a lot to keep everything skimmed off the surface. If you are considering a new pump this is something to consider.

Just installed a new single speed pump a month ago. My old ones bearings went out and was pretty old. :p

Dang! Just went over all the eyeball fitting to position them all counter clockwise. Found out I have one more jet which I did not even know about. And two of them does not even have any eyeball fitted in them.

So have to buy some. Size consideration? I see 3/8, 3/4, 1, 1.5 inches on offer. Assuming they are the size of the orifice, should I get different sizes or stick to one. Small ones would mean more pressure and better, wouldn't it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.