Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would This Help (Pool Skimmer)??

1. Back To Top    #1

Would This Help (Pool Skimmer)??

Hi Everyone,

I had a question. My house is right beside a park with big trees. Everyday the pool is loaded with a ton of leaves, seeds, pollen etc. I have almost given up hope that my pool with ever be thoroughly "clean".

Just wanted to know if something like this would help?

Pentair Bermuda Gunite Skimmer 2 In. Slip Ports White - 506361 - INYOPools.com
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would This Help (Pool Skimmer)??

The tree on the extreme right is the evil one. Dumps loads of leaves every day!

TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

IMHO, and I'm in about the same situation, no..... hand skimming, robot, and vacuuming are your biggest guns. Backed up with the skimmer sock... which we just dumped, and in 24 hours it was matted with pollen and other vegetative xxx rated detritus. Positive outlook is that Spring is on its way....

4. Back To Top    #4

Just sayin .....

Chain.jpg
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish that was an option.

So that is not good buy you say?
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Just sayin .....

Chain.jpg
    Can't fault your logic, at all, but in my case, they aren't my trees......

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you running your pump more to get circulation going along with using skimmer socks to contain the floating debris?

Perhaps the addition of one of these would help?- PoolSkim USA -- award-winning automatic pool skimmer solves your pool debris problems for a clean and sparkling pool.

Hopefully once the trees finish their spring bloom your problems will lessen.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

The pool runs for 4 hours daily. Haven't changed much in the pool running shedule. I was looking for a skimmer like the one you posted that could ease the work load.

The leaves, seeds, just float to the "dead" part of the pool and just keep floating there.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I soooo feel your pain. I have a city right of way directly behind my house with tons of oaks and pines that hang over my pool. The city won't even let me pay to cut them down. I often wonder what dummy would have built a pool under them then wonder what dummy would buy a house with a pool under them...yep that'd be me. I've tried everything, tarps and leaf nets when pool isn't in use. Can't use the pool skim since my filter doesn't support the hook up. I run my filter 8 hrs a day but it could use 24 hrs a day. It's a none stop battle and I haven't found a solution even when the leaves stop falling, they still fall. Please let me know if you find a solution! Wish I could help.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

So hellstorm2004, it really sounds like a circulation issue:
    The leaves, seeds, just float to the "dead" part of the pool and just keep floating there.
    Just a thought ... if you could post a top view pic of your pool and that specific area or post a diagram, the members reading might get an idea or two of how to help stir-up that "dead area" you were referring to.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

11. Back To Top    #11

The black circles are where the jets are. The red ones are mostly the dead zone.

PS... I hope the pic is alright
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    I soooo feel your pain. I have a city right of way directly behind my house with tons of oaks and pines that hang over my pool. The city won't even let me pay to cut them down. I often wonder what dummy would have built a pool under them then wonder what dummy would buy a house with a pool under them...yep that'd be me. I've tried everything, tarps and leaf nets when pool isn't in use. Can't use the pool skim since my filter doesn't support the hook up. I run my filter 8 hrs a day but it could use 24 hrs a day. It's a none stop battle and I haven't found a solution even when the leaves stop falling, they still fall. Please let me know if you find a solution! Wish I could help.
    I will. When I bought the house, I didn't even have a clue what pool maintenance is like. I have got the basics right now. So my judgement was mostly of an illiterate.

But the park is nice. Kids playing and all.

Just no good single moms!
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

I definitely see your problem. I've seen it with other members just like this. Even if all the jets were pointed clockwise, or counter-clockwise, there is going to be a tough spot to get circulation. The area near the steps is especially common. I'll do some poking around for ideas, or others may chime in. I can't recall what was suggested before about tucked-in areas like your steps. In the meantime, I suspect a little extra diligence will be the prescription (or more cowbell) to keep that water from getting too stagnant. Oh, and perhaps you might want to consider on one or two of the returns replacing the original eyeball with a 45 or 90 degree fitting. Might give you better reach of water placement.

14. Back To Top    #14

Installing a jet near the steps?

Would that cost a bomb??
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by hellstorm2004 View Post
    I will. When I bought the house, I didn't even have a clue what pool maintenance is like. I have got the basics right now. So my judgement was mostly of an illiterate.

But the park is nice. Kids playing and all.

Just no good single moms!
    I wasn't aware of the maintenance needed with trees either. The pool I grew up with didn't have any trees around it. Thunderstorms are my worst nightmare and even bring me to tears.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

16. Back To Top    #16

Installing a jet near the steps? Would that cost a bomb??
    Sure, but I'm not suggesting running new lines (although that would be nice in a perfect world). Just consider replacing the eyeballs on the existing jets (or try a couple of them). Fitting them with 45 or 90 degree PVC fittings to help angle the water better. Others have done it with good success.

17. Back To Top    #17

A couple of these might help get things circulating a little better....

https://www.mypoolyard.com/product_i...FUgkhgod78gHKw

18. Back To Top    #18

I saw a robot floating leaf skimmer online a few months ago. It looked liked it actually worked from the video that was posted. If I find it will post the link.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a robot floating leaf skimmer online a few months ago. It looked liked it actually worked from the video that was posted. If I find it will post the link. Here it is Swimming Pool Skimmers | Solar-Breeze Robotic Floating Pool Skimmer
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

19. Back To Top    #19

I think pointing all the eyeballs counter clockwise and a couple of ewkearns 90 degree eyeballs would help a lot.

We have a TON of trees. When they are busy, spring and fall, we run the VS pump 24x7 at low RPM, 1100 rpm. The VS pump only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. With electricity rates at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run my pump 24x7. It helps a lot to keep everything skimmed off the surface. If you are considering a new pump this is something to consider.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

Just installed a new single speed pump a month ago. My old ones bearings went out and was pretty old.

Dang! Just went over all the eyeball fitting to position them all counter clockwise. Found out I have one more jet which I did not even know about. And two of them does not even have any eyeball fitted in them.

So have to buy some. Size consideration? I see 3/8, 3/4, 1, 1.5 inches on offer. Assuming they are the size of the orifice, should I get different sizes or stick to one. Small ones would mean more pressure and better, wouldn't it?
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast