Replacing equipment

We just bought a house with a pool in October (first pool!!), and I've been researching new pool equipment since December. This site has proven to be an invaluable tool! I found posts similar to the one I'm writing to be helpful so I'll add my two cents. After getting 3 quotes I decided on the company to replace everything. What's currently there:

Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump
Polaris 3/4 HP pump
Pentair FNS Plus 60sq ft DE filter
An ancient Purex Triton 350M
Colorsplash 2G LED light

New equipment:
Pentair intelliflo VS 3hp
Pentair intellichlor IC40 (w/sacrificial anode)
Jandy Aqualink RS (IQ904-PS)
Rheem 336/406 Cupronickel heater (they need to look at my gas line to see what it can handle)
They will also be re-plumbing a few things, because there are several unnecessary turns.

Two out of the three companies suggested getting the superflo instead of intelliflo, but ultimately I decided on the intelliflo because of the greater electrical savings it should provide, the quieter operation (due to it being able to run at a lower RPM for the same task), and the lack of information I could find about the superflo pump.

I went with the Rheem heater not only due to the installer's recommendation, but also because of the glowing reviews from other members of this site.

It was a no-brainer choosing the intellichlor, it seems to be the best out there.

It was a little more difficult choosing the automation system, but I ultimately decided on the Jandy because it seems to offer the most flexibility at a reasonable price, compared to the intellitouch system.

Other things I bought- the Taylor TF-100 test kit w/ magnetic stirrer, a Dolphin Nautilus Plus, a fountain that attaches to the pressure line, and of course a ton of pool games and toys.

Can you tell I'm ready for Spring?!

JD,

Can the Jandy Aqualink control the IC40 and the Intelliflo? I'd be surprised if it can, but I've been wrong about 20 times today already. Unless it can, I see this as an issue. No point in having automation if it can control things.

Jim R.

I was told by the installer that it can control the intelliflo pump with the intellicom adapter from Pentair. I don't believe it can control the intellichlor, but once I've figured out the proper run time adjustments I don't think that I'd really need to control the salt cell remotely, would I?

JD,

The IC40 operating time/percentage can only be adjusted by 20% increments without a Pentair control system, which adjusts 1% at a time. Not a major issue, just something to think about. I did a quick read of the intellicom adapter manual and it appears to me it would allow you to have four preset speeds that can be turned on or off by the Jandy. (It was quick read, so I might have missed something) Having 4 speeds vs having any speed you want, kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a vs pump.

edit.. I reread your post and you were right not to get the superflo..

I would suggest you go all Jandy or all Pentair or all anything else, but I would not mix and match.

So what feature does the Jandy control system have that makes it the one you want? On the surface, the Jandy and EasyTouch seem to have the same basic functions.

Jim R.

What makes you think your pool requires the IntelliTouch? What all are you trying to automate?

The EasyTouch is very capable of handling a complex setup and if you are planning on a Pentair SWG and pump, then Pentair's automation is a must. I'd highly recommend ScreenLogic as well. An ET8 and IC60 can be had for $1800 which is very reasonable and is what I'd recommend.

The IntelliCom adapter is designed for people with a Jandy automation system that decide to switch to a Pentair VS pump. This will work but why overcomplicate things, especially when they work so well in a Pentair package?

Your heater selection is fine with an Easytouch and is a very good choice.

JD,

The IC40 operating time/percentage can only be adjusted by 20% increments without a Pentair control system, which adjusts 1% at a time. Not a major issue, just something to think about. I did a quick read of the intellicom adapter manual and it appears to me it would allow you to have four preset speeds that can be turned on or off by the Jandy. (It was quick read, so I might have missed something) Having 4 speeds vs having any speed you want, kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a vs pump.

edit.. I reread your post and you were right not to get the superflo..

I would suggest you go all Jandy or all Pentair or all anything else, but I would not mix and match.

So what feature does the Jandy control system have that makes it the one you want? On the surface, the Jandy and EasyTouch seem to have the same basic functions.

Jim R.

Wow, thanks for looking that up! I am not really sure I'll need 1% increments, I suppose I could adjust the pump run time in order to get that type of flexibility if I need it. I know the intelliflo is overkill for my pool, but I'm having the pool company set the various speeds when they set up the pump, so I couldn't imagine needing more than 4 different speeds. I only want the automation system to make it easier to turn the spa on and also to remotely manage the heater, lights and pump.

The reason I chose the Jandy over the pentair system is mainly because of price. All the quotes i got on an intellitouch system were nearly $1,000 more than aqualink. Also, the Aqualink seems to be geared more towards what I want it to do, mainly being able to control it via an app from everywhere. From the estimates I got it appeared that the intellitouch needed several costly add-ons to have the same functionality. Frankly, I don't really understand either Pentair's or Jandy's product lines when it comes to automation. There are several different choices on their websites and I had a hard time distinguishing major differences between models.

JD,

I suggest that you ask your pool guy to bid an EasyTouch4 with IC40 so you can compare apples to apples. As far as operation via an app, Pentair has what is called ScreenLogic 2. It allows you to control your pool from your PC or your phone.

But, it is your money and you should buy what you want. Just trying to give you some feedback on your selection.

Good Luck,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The IntelliTouch is only needed for very custom applications. If you don't have a water park in your backyard, then the EasyTouch will be just fine. Mixing the brands for automation, pumps and SWG's is a headache waiting to happen and will leave much to be desired.

Not to beat a dead horse, but ScreenLogic2 is VERY worth the expense when using the EasyTouch (or IntelliTouch if you so choose).

The IntelliTouch is only needed for very custom applications. If you don't have a water park in your backyard, then the EasyTouch will be just fine. Mixing the brands for automation, pumps and SWG's is a headache waiting to happen and will leave much to be desired.

Not to beat a dead horse, but ScreenLogic2 is VERY worth the expense when using the EasyTouch (or IntelliTouch if you so choose).

Thanks. I'm getting a quote today on an easytouch instead of an intellitouch. If it's within a few hundred bucks I'll probably go with the easytouch!

Even if the cost is more, I'd opt for the EasyTouch since the pump and SWG you intend on getting are Pentair products. If you are sold on the AquaLink, then get Jandy's pump and SWG as James mentioned above.

Did I mention ScreenLogic yet????

Thank you guys for your recommendations. I have a feeling you all saved me from a lot of headaches down the road! The quote I got for the EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 w/ ScreenLogic ended up being $156 less than buying the IC40 and aqualink separately. I thoroughly researched every single component EXCEPT for the automation system. Honestly, I didn't think it mattered, but I'm glad I posted on here before giving the final go-ahead. If all goes well, everything should be installed in just a couple of weeks. I really appreciate your suggestions!!!

We typically recommend sizing SWG 2-3 times larger than the pool. I have the IC40 and just under 20k gallons and it makes more than enough chlorine. I can even get the pool up to SLAM level, upper 20s FC, with it. I have no trouble raising FC up to 10ppm for pool parties with the SWG. But, I often just use bleach to supplement the SWG to keep from having adjust the timer/percentage. Being closer to the capacity of the SWG, you will have to run it at a higher percentage and/or longer each day. So, the cell will need to be replaced sooner. And depending on your pump, it could be expensive to run your pump a few more hours each day. We have a VS pump and at 1100 rpm to run the SWG it only uses 150 watts. We can run the pump 24x7 for about 12 bucks a month so run time isn't really a factor. We swim a lot in the hot TX sun.

I think the IC40 will make plenty of chlorine for your pool, especially if you supplement with bleach during periods of high demand like pool parties or all weekend swimming.

Another reason for getting a larger SWCG is that the upcharge for the largest size is not as great in comparison to the extra life. You are essentially buying pounds of chlorine production when you buy a cell. There is essentially a fixed cost for housing, etc. and then a variable cost for the guts itself. On PoolCleaningParts.com, the prices are IC-40 ($529) and IC-60 ($709). So the 60 is 34% [(709-529)/529] more expensive and should last 50% [(60-40)/40] longer. And the less frequently a cell dies, the less often you have the potential for a green pool (and the SLAM costs to fix it). But of course you should be testing daily so no worries. ;)

Yikes! Well I had the company place the order already. Whether or not they did, I don't know. I did email him to ask if I can get the EasyTouch 8 with IC60 instead of IC40. If he can still change the order then I told him to go ahead. But if he can't I guess I'm stuck with it (which I don't mind).

Depending on the weather forecast, I'm considering just opening the pool when they install the equipment (first week of March). I have to get a solar cover though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.