Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help picking system.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help picking system.

I'm in nj and just had an inground vinyl pool installed 16x32 free form. I want to add salt water to it on my own. I have the intelliflo pump. Would I be best installing the intellichlor ic 40 with easy touch? Don't have any features besides pentair led color changing lights, so feel it might be over kill. I like the hayward aqr15 but would I also have to install a timer out is there a way to wire it right the the pump so they both use the built in timer on the intelliflo?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help picking system.

This thread has some information that should be useful, Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on off without common timer.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I will answer you last question first - no you can't use the pump's timer to control other devices. But a single timer is pretty cheap and easy to add. The nice thing about the Hayward AquRite is that it gives you control in 1% increments without any additional automation panel required. Well that and it's affordable (less than $900 online), very reliable, and cheap to operate. My first cell lasted 7+ years and cost under $400 to replace, making my chlorine cost less tha $57 per year.

I use an Intelliflow programmed for several different speeds/flows during the day. I have a seperate timer that turns my AquaRite SWG on for a specific portion of that. It all works quite well. Of course, since the Intelliflo was a replacement for an older single speed pump, I already had a timer that was now unused by the pump and could be hooked up to just control the SWG.

I can't speak to the IC40 or easy touch, I have no experiance there. If you are looking to add automation though there are others who should be able to advise. Personally I've tried to avoid automation systems and just keep things simple.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem with the Intelliflo is that it does not have an output that controls external devices. Buying the IC40 with the EasyTouch would allow you to have full control over the pump, SWG, and a number of other items that you might add later.

All of these items can be controlled separately and will work fine, but they were designed to work together. You can make changes to your pump speed without having to stand on your head to read the panel, and you can change the operating time of the SWG in 1% increments instead of 20% increments. And if you just what to control things, or make program changes, from inside your house you can add the ScreenLogic 2 option.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool has pretty much what you're looking at...an Intellichlor IC-40, One valve controller for the bubblers, Pentair Color LED lights, EasyTouch automation system. I'm adding an Intelliflo pump next month. I like the ability to fine tune the SWG output, and being able to control the pump, lights, and bubblers from my iPhone or iPad.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm set up pretty much the same as Chief, except I have the IC40. My IC40 is on its own timer, so only being able to adjust in 20% increments isn't an issue because I can also adjust the run time for the SWG independent of the pump run time. It works great.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you guys so much, It sounds like I might go with the hayward. I like the warranty with the self install, and the fact that you can adjust in 1 percent increments

- - - Updated - - -

Going to have to start reading pool school threads to get familiar with the whole maintenance of the water seems so confusing.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Go to Pool School (it's the button at the top right of this page). Spend some time reading and studying. It will all seem a bit overwhelming at first, but with a little time and study it all begins to fit together. The next thing you know you are not only in control of your own pool, you are giving advice to other pool owners here on the forum.

The one thing you do need is a real test kit. There are only two that are recommended here on the forum, and of those two the TF-100 is far and away the best bargain. It was designed for the individual pool owner and gives you more of the reagents you will use the most. When you do order a test kit, add in the SpeedStir, you will be glad you did.

If you add all the info about your pool and equipment in your signature it will help others in giving you advice, without having to ask the same questions time and again. See my sig or others for an example.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like a good plan for the SWG.

Start here on learning about water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

+1 with Chief on ordering a TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

More here on how to update your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Just about to order the kit and stir stick. Is theRe any thing else you guys suggest on that site?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kevgle4587 View Post
    Just about to order the kit and stir stick. Is theRe any thing else you guys suggest on that site?
    That test kit is put together by the owner of TFP and is run as a separate business. The test kit uses Taylor reagents and is proportioned better than the Taylor K2006 kit. There is a west coast retailer that sells the TF-100, but you should get it from TFTestkits.net since they are located near you.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process