First test with TF-100

Re: Alleged hydration stains.

To all those who have helped,

After adding 3 jugs of bleach on 4/19/09 mid afternoon, I checked the FC via home test kit in the PM and was at approximately 10 ppm, Im not sure if it was higher since my kit only goes up to 10. Today, 4/20/09, I went to Warehouse to test my water since I dont have the ability to read above 10 FC. Prior to shocking the numbers were as posted a few postings back.

Today the numbers are as follows:

FC 2
TC 2
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 90
CYA 75

Water is very clear. Ill post pics shortly.

I guess my question is it normal for the FC to drop from 10 to 2 in approximatley 24 hrs? Prior to shocking the FC was 0 and the CYA 30. Also, we had severe rain prior to shocking the pool.

Should I shock again if my water is clear?

Also, I didnt have vitamin C to rub on my stain issue and was adivsed to use a lemon. After rubbing a lemon on a couple of the stains, no change. Was using the lemon the same as using vitamin C? I guess next I need to place a chlorine tab on the stain to see if its metal.

Thank you to all that apply.

Hi, Chris,

It will help you to use Jason's pool calculator so you get a better handle on your dosages.

Assuming you used large (182 oz) jugs of Clorox, you raised your FC to 18 in your pool. So you used up 16ppm in 24 hours....definitely not normal and definitely indicating you had/have organics (algae)

You now really need to keep readding chlorine until you have sanitized the pool. Read "How to shock your pool" in pool School.

It sounds like you are on your way to a much safer (and clearer) pool.

The rain is not usually very important to your pool chemistry. Get your FC stable and figured out how much you need to add to keep a safe level of about 3-4ppm.

Then address your CYA (it's a little low).

I'd leave the stains for after your FC/CYA relationship is stable and better understood.

Your pool looks beautiful, the water- downright sparkly!

Really an overnight test is the best method to determine the source of chlorine loss. Some of that loss certainly could have been sunlight...how big were the jugs you put in?

So tonight before dark, add chlorine up to your shock level, and then wait an hour and test. Tomorrow morning, first thing, test again. Compare the two results. If you have lost less than 1ppm then no need to keep shocking.

If all is well, just do a simple chlorine test each evening to determine your current FC level, and then add the appropriate amount of bleach to bump it back up to a target of 6 each night. That way you'll have the reserve to last you until the next night. Hope this makes sense.... :?

I've never heard of lemon rub under the water line, don't see how that would work well the juice would be too diluted, as opposed to the concentration of a tablet.... Dave is right, the stains can wait, best to focus on one thing at a time.

Chris,

The only way your CYA can go up is if you add CYA.....one of those tests is invalid but I don't know which one. I would suggest a CYA level of around 40-50 for your pool so you may or may not need to add when we figure out which test is good.

Your FC still needs to stay up around 12 until you experience no overnight loss.....that'll complete the shock process and your pool will be effectively sanitized.

duraleigh,

Im not sure which test was incorrect. both were done at the pool supply business. I did inquire as to why my CYA went from 30 to 75 in over a day when I didnt add any trichlor, just bleach. They only answer he could think of had to do with all the rain and where in the pool I had taken the sample from (depth wise I guess).

They only answer he could think of had to do with all the rain and where in the pool I had taken the sample from (depth wise I guess).
That's another reason not to test at the pool store. The rain has little to no effect on CYA and your CYA is distributed evenly throughout the pool.

Anyway, you'll soon be able to test accurately and we'll know which way to go from there. Your pool water is looking good. Do you think the chlorine has had an effect on it?

Even if you don't see a difference, that big loss of chlorine the first day tells us there was algae developing in the pool and it looks like you'll soon have it defeated.

Duraleigh,

I believe that the chlorine is begining to have an effect. The pool water, when the wind died down this evening, was perfectly clear. Looks even better when the sun is shinning upon it as depicted in the previously posted pics. Im just hoping, while practicing POP 8) , that my stain issue can be resolved after getting the water balanced. The PB has really disappointed me in regards to their "guess" at what the issue is and their remedy for such :rant: .

Thank you for your help.

And yes Ill be glad when my test kit gets here so Ill be able to have more variables available when testing my water :) .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi, Chris,

I thought it looked a little better, too, but hard to tell from pics. Anyway, you are certainly getting a good grasp of the priniciples taught here and, importantly, the necessity of chlorine for a really great pool.

As your pool consumes less chlorine and you complete the shock process, I would suggest this.....

Once you determine your correct CYA level, run your chlorine at elevated levels for a couple of weeks or more. So if 30ppm is your true CYA, 2-4ppm is what we'd normally suggest.......but go ahead and keep your FC higher than that....say up around 6-7ppm.....and I emphasized "keep" on purpose.

If that stain is organic, the long term dose of elevated chlorine levels will probable eliminate it.....regardless, we'll stick with you and help you get rid of it whatever it turns out to be.

Duraleigh,

I appreciate the help and will be shocking the pool when I get home from work. Im hoping the new test kit arrives soon. With the new test kit will I be able to acquire a more accurate CYA level in order to maintaine the appropriate FC levels? Once I get the water in check I plan on not using my in-line chlorinator or the Nature 2 since one has the tendency to raise CYA over time and the other may cause issues with stains as Frustratedpoolmom pointed out with her "frog" :cry: . Talk to you then.

Chris

With the new test kit will I be able to acquire a more accurate CYA level in order to maintaine the appropriate FC levels?
Yes. However, it is the most subjective test in the kit. It may take a time or two for you to get comfortable with it. Ask plenty of questions about the kit here on the forum Literally hundreds of folks here have the same kit as you will.

frustratedpoolmom,

Thank you for the post, the article was informative and will most likely allow for easier use of my soon to arrive test kit. I'm glad that I found this site becuase getting answers from other sources, especially my PB, has been frustrating and at times disheartening :cry: .

Talk to you then,

Chris

Ok,

In the process of my second shock.

Calculation called for 3 96 oz bottles of bleach. Tested water an hour of shocking to get the following readings

FC 11
TA 130
CYA less than 30
PH 7.5

My temporary test kit is an HTH which has a CYA test. Upon following the directions I was almost able to fill the tube high enough up to not see the black dot, however, I topped out which is the 30 ppm. So Im assuming a just a bit under 30 ppm.

My pool water is crystal clear, if you stare at it long enough you think that thier is no water in the pool :-D

So, Ill test the water again in the morning before leaving for work for FC and see where were at.

Hi Chris! :wave:

If I stare at my pool long enough, I get a blinding migraine cuz it's so sparkalaaaay! :mrgreen: I love it though! We are all BBB believers! If you understand it, you can't go wrong and it looks like you are on your way!

Your pool is gorgeous and I'm betting in no time, you won't see a stitch of stain anywhere!

Shame on your pool builder! :rant: ATleast he gave you a beautiful pool so I guess we can't complain too much can we? You can take it from here though. You'll love the precision and accuracy of your new test kit too! I don't think I could go on with the junk kits from Wally World or trust a Pool Store that wants to rob me of my hard earned cash... er what little cash I do have. I remember one time years ago taking a sample in because my pool water was cloudy. They wanted me to pay them $225 dollars. I walked out of there shocked beyond belief without any chemicals.

I could show you two years worth of pics of my pool and not one day out of those two years has my pool been cloudy, green or swampy looking. I opened up this year to a crystal clear pool. I was even called a pool opening guru but it's only because of the members here and what I've learned. :mrgreen:

I think it'd be the coolest thing if we could travel North America and hit every pool on this forum and know we'd all be swimming in a properly sanitized pool. 8) I guess we'd have to imply one rule though... BYOBT&S! <Bring your own beer, towel and swim suits!> :mrgreen: Suits could be optional for those frisky ones out there. :-D

I do know one thing... you are gonna love your pool! Enjoy it! I know I would if it were in my back yard! :goodjob:

Thank you for the reply and compliments. Im happy and proud of my pool as well and look forward to this summer with family and friends. Believe it or not my pool is still a "work in progress". I just had additonal decking added to the pool and Im in the process of figuring out where and how much Im going to spend on an outdoor grill/kitchen. In regards to the unsightly stains, Im hoping, as others have testified to, that they will go away as my water is properly maintained. I tried the Vitamin C pill on a stain and it didnt change it. Next Ill have to see if its metal. Talk to you then. :)

chris4150 said:
I tried the Vitamin C pill on a stain and it didnt change it. Next Ill have to see if its metal. Talk to you then. :)

Vitamin C is for metal stains. If the Vitamin C didn't change it, then it isn't metal....if you have any chlorine tabs, hold that on the stain and see if it fades it, then it means organic (usually).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.