Dog's pool has begun!

yellow12

Silver Supporter
Oct 15, 2015
Vail, AZ
I have been checking out PB in the Tucson area. Some say or email they can't build in our budget with my pic and size wanted. Others show THEIR design, shrink the pool size, etc.. and still manage to list the price 7k to 15k over our 32k budget. I cut out pebble sheen and quartz for plaster, concrete pad instead of better travertine, tile instead of rock, sheer descents instead of waterfalls, no spa, no frill except we need the water sound since our .89 acre lot backs to a hwy and the back sheer descent to work with existing gentle slope. Already spent 20K on masonry and view back wall with 16 ft access gate. I want to stay within 10% of house value which= $340K I have to add solar and salt cell later which will be over the 10% value of course. We have Chocolate Labrador Retriever litters (2 to 4 a year) and I do train them to swim prior to going to their new homes, so I need that 6" lagoon relatively large. See our pup on youtube from our home in Phoenix we sold in August :) https://youtu.be/XmNHTUhaWug
Anyway, we moved back to Tucson (Vail) for job and larger lot and have to build a pool. We built a (waterworld) fiberglass 16x43 in PA by NJ in 2004, but fiberglass is not recommended in this high desert heat and I like the larger lagoon option. The pool in Phoenix was too small (a fanny soaker freeform 12x24ish). We wanted a 20x45, but scaled back to 21x38. Do you think it's big enough? Have enough cleaners in floor? Need 2nd LED lights instead of 1? No to fiberoptic, we could only see 2 steps in phoenix pool with that. No to (A&A) in floor cleaning system. I had to change heads $70 each wit no warranty. 2002 Shasta pool 3rd owner. We replaced all pool equipment, ugh, and only had it 2 years. I do extra fine nets in skimmer and clean dog hair out almost daily. I am not afraid of scrubbing walls and pumice stoning tile. Do you think this is a good price? Do you recommend a salt system? We installed Circupool in both other homes and I cleaned and muriatic acid the cells regularly which was fine. Only owned each about 3 to 5 years though. All advice, criticisms welcome. Being an RN, I can accept mean and crude too :) I have been reading a lot on this forum and everyone has such great advise, ideas, and different perspectives. I was even thinking of subbing out myself, but that is more than I can chew by far, back in PA we picked our own decking company and got rock lava surface since it dried too fast (out 6k for removal and redu from another company) I did check with area vendors and found that this company uses some good ones and is roc/bbb good standing. Have to call for references from recent jobs still. Sorry this got long, but I am wanting to put a deposit down to start permit. I have HOA approval and the fence/permitted already. Anxious and excited about pulling the trigger this time... Thanks, Wendy

max width:21 linear feet
max length: 38 lin. feet
min depth: 3ft
max depth: 6 ft.
approx. gals: 25,500
area:500sq feet
perimeter: 102 lin ft.
interior: 938 sq ft.
steps: 6" lagoon w/3 bubblers and umbrella sleeve & standard bench 6ft end
deck: 400sq ft "green" (I didn't ask for that color) salt finished concrete w/4 deck jets
1. permits, engineered drawing, forming, layout, excavation, remove dirt, standard dig.
2. approximate 40 ft deck drain, electrical included 50 ft run, interior finish: white plaster
3. genuine 6 inch thick pneumatically placed Shotcrete with 12 inch wide bond beam
4. reinforcing steel to be #3, 12 inches on center each way, with 6 inches on center vertically at deep section of pool, with depth 5 ft or greater.
5. pool plumbing 1.5 to 2.0 max diameter, pressure tested schedule 40 or better
6. waterline tile 6" standard, accent tile standard 1" or 2" on steps and bench 9-12" apart
7. 36ft raised beam 18" w/3 power 3ft water features (sheer descent)
8. pre plumbed stub future solar, salt
9.Equipment: Filter: Pentair clean & clear 4420 cartridge filter Pump: Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump Dedicated pump to 3 power fall water feature, 3 bubblers and 4 deck jets Main drains: 2-VGB compliance safety guard, max flow
10. Skimmer: 1 single pvc auto weir and float, Return: 4 directional adjustable unidirectional rotation, Light: 1 intellibrite LED color with switch GFCI, Automatic water leveler/ vacuum breaker.
11. Automatic Cleaner: 8 port ultra-flex caretaker in floor system, Chlorinator: SGS Breeze salt system plumed in 8 port valve only, start up clean equipment and chemicals and instructions

Total Price: 32,607 plus tax= $ 33,899.00
extra deck optional at 8.25 per sq ft.

JscPR8h.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Got Quote: Please help. Advise. Newbe. New build. All welcome. No offense taken.

My post deleted the spacing of the quote and jumbled it together. Plus typing too quickly(NEWBIE). I am sorry. Also, I ask too many questions, and the post is too big according to senior advisor recommendations. Main questions:
1.What do you think about the price and pool size, lagoon/sun shelf size?
2. I have concern about the amount of in floor cleaning ports proposed?
3. One light being enough?
4... and what am I missing here? This is a rough drawing. I want it all spelled out correctly on contract before I sign and can't afford much "mark ups" later I "forgot" or was "ignorant" to include in the beginning. Thanks! Wendy P.

Re: Got Quote: Please help. Advise. Newbe. New build. All welcome. No offense taken.

Just my first glance is that 3' shallow is too shallow.

Have you considered a vinyl lined pool? In my area they are cheaper to install.

How much would you save if you skipped that in-floor cleaning system and instead got a good robot?

One area that I *always* suggest spending more money on is to get as much decking as you can afford. Seriously. I've never once read someone here say they had "too much" decking.

Yippee :flower:

Hi Wendy,

Welcome :wave:

Take the follow as nothing more than an unprofessional opinion -

I'm just north of you on the eastside of Tucson. Sorry to say it, but I would be really surprised if you find a PB to build THAT pool for under $40k. They may low-ball you in the quoting phase, but I'd bet dollars-to-donuts when all is said & done, that pool will be over $40k. If you have to keep it to under $32k, then I think it will have to be an Owner/Builder (O/B) pool.

Possible areas to save on -

1. Ditch the in-floor system. It won't help with dog hair and as long as your property doesn't get a lot of dust and dirt debris, I don't think it will do much better than a simple suction-side cleaner.

2. Ditch the fancy multicolor LED and either go with a standard halogen lamp (more lumens than an LED) or add and extra light niche and go with two simple white LEDs.

3. This may sound crazy, but you can read lots about it here on TFP - Main drains are useless. Would it save you any money to ditch the main drains and just go with two skimmers? Considering the dog-hair potential, two skimmers might be better.

4. Take out the deck jets? Unless you really desire them as a water feature, I see no real purpose for them.

I would definitely advocate salt, even if it's a future upgrade, as it is a super-convenient way to chlorinate your pool. The doggies might enjoy the softer, saltier water as well.

As I said, just some thinking-out-loud thoughts. Welcome aboard!!

Matt

Yippee and Matt, thank you for responding. I am scared to use vinyl here. Everything gets brittle and cracks in this heat. We can bake cookies in the car in the summer. 3 ft is too shallow! thanks:) Regarding the in floor cleaning system and main drains, I will check out your recommendations as what you say about the robot, skimmers, and dog hair ring true in my memory... In PA, we had a great robot and I didn't have to use a skimmer hoes barely at all. In Phoenix, we had the in floor system and I still had to vacuum weekly. The skimmer was what I used the most with dog hair collection nets that I cleaned out every other day... having 3 grown chocolate labs and training the litters. The builder was not a fan of the deck jets either saying they were just a staining problem for the deck. We love salt, having installed it 2 times before in our 2 other past pools. Being a nurse, warm water and amoebas freak me out. They can thrive in fresh warm water without enough chlorine (if it gets low), but can not live in salt at all. Those things get sucked in the nose and migrate to the brain and eat it in 5 days. Only 3 survivors ever in US since the 1960's. I am not kidding. My PA pool had a heat pump, but only a bubble liner in Phoenix. The dogs use it all year regardless.lol Here is a phoenix pic. Thanks so much!:handwave: You are awesome and this site is awesome! wendydogs swimming.jpg

Here is our yard now. There is lots of dirt for now. Over our new wall and over that ridge is the hwy. Thanks, wendy20150916_072510.jpg

Here is another yard pic and side yard to show the scuppers, drainage problems. I need to convert to header boxes to a horizontal gutter to rain chain and barrel, but will that be enough? I am worried. Thanks, Wendy.

http://imgur.com/a/z9Gn8 <-- click to view more pictures :drown: I am really worried about the flat roof drainage and slope. I don't think a french drain can handle the butt up to the back porch and pool deck.

Attachments

• yard smaller.jpg
    yard smaller.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 552

That yard NEEDS a pool!

So those pipes coming out of the walls help drain the flat roof? The rocks under them are to keep the force of the water washing that area out? What a different world you live in that I do here in Florida. I love learning new things.

Ask around and see if there is anywhere you can save money but keep the overall pool. You were given some wonderful advice above about things to leave out or change so you can start there.

Pretty doggies! You said you had 2 to 4 litters a year?? That is a LOT of puppies running around!

Kim

Kim,

The pipes are called scuppers. And yes, the let the roof drain. I tore all my scuppers out and put in downspouts and gutters. The splash back from the force of the water hitting the rocks (and mud underneath) ruined my stucco walls and left the paint white with mineral deposits.

Yes, we do live in very different worlds...I think you'd find the 15% relative humidity days to be quite interesting ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been checking out PB in the Tucson area. Some say or email they can't build in our budget with my pic and size wanted. Others show THEIR design, shrink the pool size, etc.. and still manage to list the price 7k to 15k over our 32k budget. I cut out pebble sheen and quartz for plaster, concrete pad instead of better travertine, tile instead of rock, sheer descents instead of waterfalls, no spa, no frill except we need the water sound since our .89 acre lot backs to a hwy and the back sheer descent to work with existing gentle slope. Already spent 20K on masonry and view back wall with 16 ft access gate. I want to stay within 10% of house value which= $340K I have to add solar and salt cell later which will be over the 10% value of course. We have Chocolate Labrador Retriever litters (2 to 4 a year) and I do train them to swim prior to going to their new homes, so I need that 6" lagoon relatively large. See our pup on youtube from our home in Phoenix we sold in August :) https://youtu.be/XmNHTUhaWug
Anyway, we moved back to Tucson (Vail) for job and larger lot and have to build a pool. We built a (waterworld) fiberglass 16x43 in PA by NJ in 2004, but fiberglass is not recommended in this high desert heat and I like the larger lagoon option. The pool in Phoenix was too small (a fanny soaker freeform 12x24ish). We wanted a 20x45, but scaled back to 21x38. Do you think it's big enough? Have enough cleaners in floor? Need 2nd LED lights instead of 1? No to fiberoptic, we could only see 2 steps in phoenix pool with that. No to (A&A) in floor cleaning system. I had to change heads $70 each wit no warranty. 2002 Shasta pool 3rd owner. We replaced all pool equipment, ugh, and only had it 2 years. I do extra fine nets in skimmer and clean dog hair out almost daily. I am not afraid of scrubbing walls and pumice stoning tile. Do you think this is a good price? Do you recommend a salt system? We installed Circupool in both other homes and I cleaned and muriatic acid the cells regularly which was fine. Only owned each about 3 to 5 years though. All advice, criticisms welcome. Being an RN, I can accept mean and crude too :) I have been reading a lot on this forum and everyone has such great advise, ideas, and different perspectives. I was even thinking of subbing out myself, but that is more than I can chew by far, back in PA we picked our own decking company and got rock lava surface since it dried too fast (out 6k for removal and redu from another company) I did check with area vendors and found that this company uses some good ones and is roc/bbb good standing. Have to call for references from recent jobs still. Sorry this got long, but I am wanting to put a deposit down to start permit. I have HOA approval and the fence/permitted already. Anxious and excited about pulling the trigger this time... Thanks, Wendy

max width:21 linear feet
max length: 38 lin. feet
min depth: 3ft
max depth: 6 ft.
approx. gals: 25,500
area:500sq feet
perimeter: 102 lin ft.
interior: 938 sq ft.
steps: 6" lagoon w/3 bubblers and umbrella sleeve & standard bench 6ft end
deck: 400sq ft "green" (I didn't ask for that color) salt finished concrete w/4 deck jets
1. permits, engineered drawing, forming, layout, excavation, remove dirt, standard dig.
2. approximate 40 ft deck drain, electrical included 50 ft run, interior finish: white plaster
3. genuine 6 inch thick pneumatically placed Shotcrete with 12 inch wide bond beam
4. reinforcing steel to be #3, 12 inches on center each way, with 6 inches on center vertically at deep section of pool, with depth 5 ft or greater.
5. pool plumbing 1.5 to 2.0 max diameter, pressure tested schedule 40 or better
6. waterline tile 6" standard, accent tile standard 1" or 2" on steps and bench 9-12" apart
7. 36ft raised beam 18" w/3 power 3ft water features (sheer descent)
8. pre plumbed stub future solar, salt
9.Equipment: Filter: Pentair clean & clear 4420 cartridge filter Pump: Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump Dedicated pump to 3 power fall water feature, 3 bubblers and 4 deck jets Main drains: 2-VGB compliance safety guard, max flow
10. Skimmer: 1 single pvc auto weir and float, Return: 4 directional adjustable unidirectional rotation, Light: 1 intellibrite LED color with switch GFCI, Automatic water leveler/ vacuum breaker.
11. Automatic Cleaner: 8 port ultra-flex caretaker in floor system, Chlorinator: SGS Breeze salt system plumed in 8 port valve only, start up clean equipment and chemicals and instructions

Total Price: 32,607 plus tax= $ 33,899.00
extra deck optional at 8.25 per sq ft.

JscPR8h.jpg

I would consider an owner build. I am currents in the process. Check out my signature for my pool stats. With all the extras my pool 39,800 including 650 sq feet of travertine decking. Overall between the pool, patio and landscape I am paying just under 58k.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Matt we LOVE AZ! We have been there several times for the Jet Ski World Finials in Lake Havasu. We drove from FL as we had two skis in the back of the van! One practice ski and one comp ski. We have thought about retiring in AZ but we love our home here.

Kim

Maybe I will have to bite it and do it myself. The things I am worried about are the drawing schematics and finding good contractors. I looked up the info on our other pool in PA and found the pics of the horrible decking concrete job that had to be jackhammered out. Also, we had a mudslide into it from upper hill construction and 2 (100) year floods back to back. Other people had basement and 1st floor mud and we had a pool of dark chocolate milk. Believe it of not, we avoided a full drain using a bonding agent that clumped the dirt and back washing, cleaning, and skimming for 2 weeks. It worked.

Yep Kim, scuppers are a pain and in my opinion a cost cutter for lazy builds: putting them in locations where the very pathways to entrance doors. It's a mad dash thru it. Either that or they think its funny. I also worry about termites. They love it next to wet foundations and not far from wood. Matt did you have a problem with that too?

Josh, wow 58K, but your pool sounds amazing and I will look. Yes, my budget set by hub is 32K, but can probably stretch to 35K.
I was trying to do some research on forgoing a main, but most say it's part of the filtration system and needed? I can't find a good thread discussing it as far back as 2011... Just people having problems with them and the creepers don't do lagoon areas so it would collect right where we want to get in.

Yes, I have pics of a pool full of puppies somewhere. We have 8 here now. 5 weeks old and have a blow up for the big pool starting next week. I am really missing a pool right now. Here is a video of the puppies being introduced to water (last litter). They love it more than we do. Thanks, wendy https://youtu.be/SnC-0KgA1ek?t=2

Got Quote: Please help. Advise. Newbe. New build. All welcome. No offense taken.

Wendy,

Yup, termites. Every area where we had scuppers and a rock bed there would be the occasional mud tubes up the foundation. Had exterminators dig 24" deep channels all around the foundation and flood them with termite poison. The exterminator mentioned the scupper issue and said scuppers should only be in areas where the down fall of water can flow AWAY from the foundation. Only one of the six scuppers was like that. Paid about $3k to have them all ripped out and replaced with powder coated 4" aluminum gutters and downspouts. Now all water drains AWAY from our property and I no longer have ugly mineralized stucco from the splash back.

If your interested, PM me I'll give you the name of the company we used for our gutter install. I was very pleased with their work.

Wendy,

Re: Main Drains

See this post (especially the video link in the post) for opinions about the necessity of MD's. TFP hydraulics expert, mas985 knows everything there is to know about pool hydraulics and has written about this topic in many posts.

Here is a PDF link to a case study for the The Option of Pools without “Main Drains”.

The only time a main drain is needed is when you have an in-floor cleaning system. In that case, the in-floor jets push debris towards a specially designed drain.

Whoa, after reading the doc I don't understand why we use main drains at all. It makes total sense. I am going to check if it's a price difference for 2 skimmers. It would help better with the dog hair my fur friends generate anyway... I found a builder I like and fully checked him out:) I hope to post pics of actual progress in a few weeks. Thanks for all the advise! wendy

20160119_163359%201_zps8i3nyukm.jpg

20160122_175739_zpsevhdcf8a.jpeg

We accepted a proposal on 10/28/15 with a contractor and the permit application went in the first week of November. We waited and waited and called county a few times and finally got a letter a full month later.

See below: Quote from letter:
"Additional information required prior to conduction substantive review
Review: Date: 12/2/2015
Regional Flood Control District (RFCD) review is required prior to Building and Site Development review.
Your application and plans have been forwarded to RFCD, so no action is currently necessary on your part. RFCD will contact you if additional information is required or when your Floodplain Use Permit is approved. The RFCD review includes floodplain, erosion hazard and riparian habitat regulations."

On January 15, 2016 it was finally approved. The delay was not due to flood zone (we are not in one, but they tried to say we were and I had to visit and review maps with them). They said we were in a "Riparian Habitat C" and could not build anything more on our .89 acre lot being that the house footprint had already exceeded the "allowed disturbance". You see pics of our lot... It's a dirt and rock wasteland. Anyway, the boundary was finally adjusted to reflect the real habitat on the lot in the front (not pictured) far right corner that butts up to the actual wash area on the other side of the fence and they finally approved the pool. Crazy, but for you new builders and house buyers. Check the flood plains and habitat restrictions. It doesn't have to be disclosed for you to purchase and the prior owners may not even know. There are local restrictions underneath the radar of the federal mandates. If you are in a federal flood zone, you will be told and have to pay flood insurance, but you still could be in a local flood plane (that doesn't ever flood) and then have building restrictions or worse "special habitat preservation". We even had in our house purchase contract we will purchase only if able to build the pool and fence and it didn't matter. I thought the delay would be the HOA, but it was the county.

Last edited:

20160211_140017_zps7fvy3nvq.jpg

4 weeks later and this is where we are at. They dug the pool, installed the plumbing (It's not finished at the equipment side), put in the supports (I don't see it for 2 steps? below the lagoon) and getting ready for inspection. The pool was lucky to be out of the way of the septic system on the right and the gas line on the left. I purchased a salt system to be installed by builder and hope to get solar heat within a year.
*** I am agonizing now about the 6x6 tile and 2x2 accent tile choices... It needs to be standard. I was trying to find some forum pics of sheer descents and what would look good across that back wall. I like a blue and brown sparkly look like Aztec Cobalt or Coral Rustic or Fossil Blue or Verona Botica Green. I don't know. ugh. the 2 brochures given to me were from Noble and NPT. Any recommendations without upgrading? Thank you so much for any recommendations!

- - - Updated - - -

20160211_140024_zpsof84iitk.jpg

Do you think it's a bad idea to save the Mesquite Tree?

OMG, the little pup with the blue color * love * !!!!

Wait, back to the pool, great progress! You'd get more feedback if a mod moves your thread to "under construction".

Yes I would save the mesquite tree if possible. We've had 3 black labs and loved them all! Labs are terrific dogs!

- - - Updated - - -

Also post pics of your tile choices and coping. We will help you decide!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.