Dog's pool has begun!

Yes, it was just the mini tile 2 lines in the pool floor upgraded. I tried to match the wall tile, but very difficult. It's not exact as you see and the builder was not willing to cut the other saying it would or could be sharp on the feet. I didn't argue.... Don't want bloody smears on the plaster.lol
Regarding the plaster being a fair color. We really like how soft it is on the skin and feet. Our pebble tech experiences have been abrasive. Call me tenderfoot. I know they have better product of late, but the $$ factor ruled that out... AND the biggie was I want to "see" in the pool. I have had a baby copper head back east in the pool with me and a rattlesnake in the west. I was lucky to see them before getting snake bit because they were both still alive and very angry.

Thank you Nursenini:) What is frustrating me now is the ridiculous landscaping quotes I am getting. Why they can make over my months salary as an RN in 3 days? I am just talking a controller, valves, pvc, sprinklers for immediate area around pool with option to expand system later when I can afford it. A few more quotes tomorrow, but sent diagram to rainbird and might rent a little trencher and do myself. I have done before, but I do need someone to sweat the connection to the main before it goes to the house. I can order my own sod and pavers. Sorry I am feeling angry that I have to do myself "I think". If I could just find a fair rate comparable to what I go to work for as I would rather start an IV and do CRP than dig in the yard, but I just might have to deal with dirt rather than pooh. I can do that.

Yellow, do you have any big teens in the area that might want some extra money? They can run the trencher for you and do what you tell them to do. You rent the trencher and paint lines where you want them to trench. Keep them in water and cookies and let them do the hard work.

Kim

Pool looks great and I'm sure the doggies will love those deck jets too! The video is adorable. :) I want to go 8" on our sun shelf, because that will cover my legs but I hope it won't be too deep if we have a puppy again. The dogs are over year, so will be ok with it just not our elderly one. I would never of thought a white plaster would be that blue, nice to see.

I like the manure comment.lol Yes, I actually met a teen to a little friend of our 10 year old. I might post something on our neighborhood forum. That's a good idea Kim. 8 inches isn't too deep. Our 15 week old could stand in that. It is soo blue in the main part of the pool. I don't know if it's the sky or refection of the 18" tile or both. I got 2 more quotes today and another number when I went to pick up pavers at the cement paver company in town. I also found a rock spreader that might do other things like spread some top soil. Maybe a fund raiser for a local boy scouts troop... just thinking. Wish our 19 yr old wasn't in NC right now. Miss him anyway.

So, I think I found someone at a reasonable price for some irrigation/sprinkler/ landscaping and sod for the 2400 sq ft around the pool. Still over 4K, but the breakout makes sense and is more fair. I will see if he shows up Monday. I ordered the kit and thank God it showed up yesterday evening because my PH has been high at least 8.2 despite gallons of muriatic acid. Finally got it to 7.6 last night, but I don't think that is going to hold long. Been trying to pool school scram, since up to now, I have only been concerned with the Bling of a new pool build:)

Thank you Taterfink:) I just posted a thread in the pump station section on getting a vacuum hoes out of a skimmer hole. It was stuck! Richard 320 had the best solution. For all you new pool owners, you should take a look before you put the hoes in the skimmer for the first time. Trust me, it will save you a bunch of trouble and having to buy a new hoes + a mini heart attack.
Help! Vaccume hoes stuck in skimmer hole... Won't budge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hammock and grass.jpgThe grass was installed mostly by my husband and I. It helps keep the dirt out of the pool. The only thing lately that I am freaking out about is that stains started appearing in the plaster especially visible in the early morning or evening in the lagoon and bench. They are large. This started before the grass and is not fertilizer. I have been brushing and adding acid (a lot) since it has risen over 8.0 at times. It has been better this 6th week and I can keep it under 7.6 The plaster guy came out and said it is calcium trapping dirt and he would give recommendations to the builder. When the builder came out, he applied some descale product and put in the salt since it is now 6 weeks. He said there wasn't much to do about the stains and it would happen because of the water here being so hard (half CAP from Colorado River and half ground surface water high in rock and minerals) and especially high in calcium. He basically did a shoulder shrug and said the plaster is still curing, the scaling will be a constant battle, staining will appear, and he doesn't recommend an acid wash because it would harm and weaken the plaster. He said I should lower the ph down to 7.2 to 7.4 and keep brushing and clean the cartridge filter. I did both. I am not happy about this occurring so early. If our fill water was an issue, we were willing to have it treated or even get a filter special for it or I would have chosen to tint the plaster a light gray brown to hide discolorations better. I want an even look especially where it is so noticeable in the lagoon and bench.
I got metal remover tonight and will see if it helps over the next 24 hours. It works with the pH low and chlorine below 2.0 Any advise is welcome. Please. So advise for new builds: Test your water source prior to the fill and be ready to treat imbalances immediately to avoid issues appearing. I brushed and continue to brush like a maniac.
pH 7.1
TA 63
Ca 243
Chlorine 0.05
Cyanuric acid 35
Copper 0
Iron 0.3 *** high
TDS 2100 (salt pool)
salt 3500

Here are some pics of the stains:
20160512_170116.jpg:brickwall:
20160512_170134.jpg
20160512_170151.jpg See the darkened areas? It is a grayish brown. I even applied some acid and sandpapered and pumice stoned it. It helps just "a little", but my arms can't sustain that kind of work. I am so frustrated. Calcium? or Iron? It stated appearing late week 3. Sent text and pics to builder and he said it is curing. He cancelled the apt on 4/21 due to a family event, ten we were out of town 10 days (I had a dog sitter and 2 friends employed to brush several times a day and they did it). Then he was busy and unable to come out until last Friday with a test strip, salt, and descale bottle.

May I suggest citrus, you get fruit, leaves don't fall off often, and don't get too big, they grow in almost any kind of soil, most small animals will not touch it and it is climate appropriate for your area (depending on exact variety). The only issue is AZ is a no-import quarantine state so you will be limited to buying locally with limited variety selection. If you pick the right varieties you can even spread your harvest dates out for much of the year.

Update: They never fixed the spots, but it has mostly leveled out as the plaster cured, but we found the "Origin" was the water source. We found out that we had ** high "Iron" content in the water and installed a reducer for it before it goes to the auto leveler. Note to new builders: Have your water source tested. Don't take their word for it!
We also had a leak in the line between the auto leveler and pool. It took 3 months to track it down to the pool and not the house, irrigation or anything else. Vail water had put a tracking meter on it. Some of our water bills those 3 months were $350 to $500 going higher! After some back and forth and it being stated that part of our decking would have to possibly be jackhammered up, the builder re dug a line and was able to not have to break up the pad. It did result in tearing up some sod and plants, but it worked thank GOD. So glad we went with an ROC on this project or I think we would have been stuck with a hot mess or having a nice pool and having to keep it filled in Arizona with a garden hoes.
Next, project is a pool heater. It only gets sun up to 3pm and it is a bit chilly here vs Phoenix. We are at 3,500 ft elevation. What kind of heaters do you use in AZ? icebreakers or regular? I posted in the equipment thread about my pool heater confusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.