Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed motor wiring help

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed motor wiring help

I finally purchased a 1.5 hp 2 speed motor to replace my single speed hayward super 2. I have an aqualogic ps-4 for control with an available aux2 relay. I understand the wiring schematic but want to know the correct way to combine the line in and common wires to the new relay. Should I splice the line or can I add the new wire at the filter pump connection screw to the Aux 2 open relay?

I also have to add a 4th wire from the motor to my box. Is it best to just run a single 12g wire through the conduit? I am disabling the toggle hi/low switch as I need to use the aqualogic automation speed control as I have in-ground pop up cleaners and solar. Thanks for any information and help you may be able to provide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed motor wiring help

If I'm reading your question correctly, the quick and easy way would be to remove the wire from the pump relay and attach two pigtails using a wire nut. A cleaner way would be to use spade connectors and run a jumper from the pump relay to the aux relay.

As for pulling the extra wire, I just pushed a section of wire through the existing flex conduit until it poked through the other end. I used 12g wire which was plenty stiff to get the job done.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 2 speed motor wiring help

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.