Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Sta-Rite S8M150 and a Intelliflo VS Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

The Sta-Rite S8M150 and a Intelliflo VS Pump

I have a Sta-Rite S8M150 and the filter is very efficient, but large for my 13,000 gallon pool. I want to get a Pentair VS pump so I can run longer on low speeds to save on the PG&E bill, but was told that because I have a large filter, I would have to run a minimum pump speed of 50GPM. Which means I would always have to run the pump at a higher RPM. Is this true?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Sta-Rite S8M150 and a Intelliflo VS Pump

There's no minimum flow rate for a cartridge filter. You can do 1 gpm if you want.

3. Back To Top    #3

I run mine at 1200 RPM (Just because of the SWG). That gives me about 2 or 3 PSI on the filter gage. I have no idea what that relates to in GPM, but I get plenty of flow out of the pool returns. Whoever told you that is full of it.. 1200 RPM is less than 200 Watts. Pool is relatively new, but so far it looks like I will only have to clean my filters twice a year.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good to know, thanks for the Reply.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pretty much the same here. I run at 1100 rpm to keep my SWG happy, it uses 150watts and my pressure gauge is between 0 and 5. Plenty of skimmer action to skim leaves and good water flow through the returns.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach