Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternative care method

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternative care method

Moderator Note: Moved from this thread TFP method beginner

I must be lazier than most of the folks here.

Winter Spring and Fall, I put 3 gals. of Chlorine in every Monday.
    In Summer, I put in 3 gals. in on Monday and 2 gals. in on Thursday.
    Once a month I test and to see where I am and make an adjustment.
    No problems.

When ever I make a Home Depot run for something, I bring home enough Chlorine to top off my par of 10 cases (rotating of course).

20160216_110122.jpg
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alternative care method

Every pool is different in how it "maintains" itself, but for most people this method of pool care would be problematic. I will use my pool as an example, if I don't test and adjust pH every few days it would be through the roof.

Monthly testing just allows too much time between tests for something to go wrong.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

While certainly easier, this method is not reliably safe for swimmers, equipment or pool surface.

The methods taught on this site are based on timely, accurate testing and using that knowledge to control pool chemistry with regular dosing. Take what you will from it and use it but I would not recommend the method you describe here to anyone. I'd say if you were testing more frequently, at least before each time you add chlorine, it might be a good compromise for those that cannot test more often and know their chlorine demand from experience with more frequent testing initially.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

While it's possible to front-load your chlorine level high enough at the beginning of the week so that it will still be acceptable up until you add more, it is a waste of bleach, as it will burn off much quicker as it gets higher and higher above the target levels listed in the CYA chart and that chlorine is not bound to the CYA.

If you have limited access to the pool, and don't want a salt system, then perhaps this method would be a compromise, or perhaps the extra cost of bleach is worth it to you to not have to pour out bleach every night....but it certainly more expensive and potentially damaging to components, swim suits, etc.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

All that extra chlorine higher than your CYA level requires is just burning off that much faster. Lazy has a price! All that extra FC also is harder on swim suits and such.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    Moderator Note: Moved from this thread TFP method beginner

I must be lazier than most of the folks here.

Winter Spring and Fall, I put 3 gals. of Chlorine in every Monday.
    In Summer, I put in 3 gals. in on Monday and 2 gals. in on Thursday.
    Once a month I test and to see where I am and make an adjustment.
    No problems.

When ever I make a Home Depot run for something, I bring home enough Chlorine to top off my par of 10 cases (rotating of course).

20160216_110122.jpg
    You may be lazy but you have a beautiful pool and that view... any chance we can get a better view from your deck?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter