Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave pool open or closed for the summer in Arizona?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leave pool open or closed for the summer in Arizona?

Hi,
    i just installed a fibreglass pool at my home in Arizona where I am a winter resident. I'm looking for any input on how I should leave the pool when I go home for the summer. My plan was to cover the pool with a winter cover and only run the pump for an hour or two a day. Will this work or will it get mouldy, or slimy, etc under the cover. This way I won't loose a lot of water to evaporation, save electricity not having to run the pump as much and keep all the blowing sand out of the pool from the summer storms. It also should elevate having to have a pool guy to come by weekly to check chemicals etc. I do have someone checking on my house and yard when I'm gone but they don't know much about pools. I also have a friend across the street that has a pool that will come over and check on things for me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leave pool open or closed for the summer in Arizona?

Sorry to say it will end up being a slimy algae pool when you get back. People get away with closing pools in the winter because algae growth is retarded in cold water. Nice warm water in AZ is going to be a perfect breeding ground fro algae.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Sorry to say it will end up being a slimy algae pool when you get back. People get away with closing pools in the winter because algae growth is retarded in cold water. Nice warm water in AZ is going to be a perfect breeding ground fro algae.
    Do you think that will happen even if I leave the pump running for longer periods of time to keep the pool sanitized?

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you plan on sanitizing? How will you control pH?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Who cares if it gets slimy or pH goes out of whack....cant he just fix all that in the spring? It would be cheaper to fix a slimy pool than run everything for 5 months. Am I wrong? I'm just a newbie

39k gallon, Pebble Tec, waterfall spa, Pentair FNS60, Del Ozone, K-2006, built 2013, The Woodlands, Texas
    My Pool in Houston, TX:
    39,000 gallon, Pebble Tec, inground, spa, Pentair DE filter, Del Ozone, cleaner, 3 years old

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sijaz View Post
    Who cares if it gets slimy or pH goes out of whack....cant he just fix all that in the spring? It would be cheaper to fix a slimy pool than run everything for 5 months. Am I wrong? I'm just a newbie

39k gallon, Pebble Tec, waterfall spa, Pentair FNS60, Del Ozone, K-2006, built 2013, The Woodlands, Texas
    He is not talking about leaving it for the winter, he is a winter resident so it will be alone all summer.

An out of balance pool in warm water all summer can cause damage to the pool itself.

Plus, following our methods most people who close their pools open to a clean pool, not a swamp. We want to avoid that if at all possible.

7. Back To Top    #7

How do you plan on sanitizing? How will you control pH?
    My pool has a in line chlorination and uv/ozonator so if the pump is running it is getting sanitized. As far as ph I can get my friend to check that once a month or so.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BigT05 View Post
    My pool has a in line chlorination and uv/ozonator so if the pump is running it is getting sanitized. As far as ph I can get my friend to check that once a month or so.
    We generally find that both UV and ozonators do not add anything to outdoor pools. You get plenty of free UV from the sun in AZ.

What is "in line chlorination"? is the is a salt system, a liquid chlorine feeder or a tab feeder?

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry to say but the UV system is not going to help much at all. I would not recommend closing a pool in AZ all summer. It should be checked weekly or you could end up with a costly disaster. Is you in line chlorinator a SWG? If so you'll have to monitor salt levels due to evaporation. You will also need to monitor pH, if pH goes out of whack for months , it could damage the pool. I would hire a pool company to maintain.

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by azjoshers79 View Post
    Sorry to say but the UV system is not going to help much at all. I would not recommend closing a pool in AZ all summer. It should be checked weekly or you could end up with a costly disaster. Is you in line chlorinator a SWG? If so you'll have to monitor salt levels due to evaporation. You will also need to monitor pH, if pH goes out of whack for months , it could damage the pool. I would hire a pool company to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can tell I don't spend much time in AZ, I totally forgot about evaporation. My last trip there was Phoenix at the beginning of August and I was afraid I was going to sink into the stree it was so soft.

11. Back To Top    #11

We generally find that both UV and ozonators do not add anything to outdoor pools. You get plenty of free UV from the sun in AZ.

What is "in line chlorination"? is the is a salt system, a liquid chlorine feeder or a tab feeder?
    Its an chlorine tablet feeder.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, that is a problem. Pool installers love to use tab feeders but they never tell folks the bad part of them. Almost half of that tablet is stabilizer. Using a tablet feeder as the prime source of chlorine leads to over stabilization in a short time. We get most of our members here because they find that the pool stores have sold them on tabs and now they can't keep their pool clear of algae because of the level of stabilizer in the water. Chlorine goes away by oxidising the bad stuff in the water and degraded by the UV of the sun. The stabilizer just continually builds up until you have to drain water to get rid of it.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, that is a problem. Pool installers love to use tab feeders but they never tell folks the bad part of them. Almost half of that tablet is stabilizer. Using a tablet feeder as the prime source of chlorine leads to over stabilization in a short time. We get most of our members here because they find that the pool stores have sold them on tabs and now they can't keep their pool clear of algae because of the level of stabilizer in the water. Chlorine goes away by oxidising the bad stuff in the water and degraded by the UV of the sun. The stabilizer just continually builds up until you have to drain water to get rid of it.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Thanks. I will do that.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

You might be able to cover the pool, have someone check water/test about 2 times a month if you Install a Salt Water Generator. You would need to run your pump "some" amount of time (determined by testing)...

You would still need someone to check your levels but it could be done.. You could have your level higher than normal because no one will be using the pool... Maybe run you chlorine level at 7 or above depending on your CYA level... This would require you to run you pump x amount of hours on a daily basis but if you have a 2 speed pump would not cost so much...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **