Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When can I start to add chemicals into the pool after replastered pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

When can I start to add chemicals into the pool after replastered pool?

Replastered our pool last month. It has been 20 days since we refilled the pool. Over the weekend, I used test strip to test water. All numbers was in right range excepted Chlorine level is almost zero. Yesterday, I notice there were air bubbles on the surface of water. They are like the bubbles float on the water in the bathtub after you take a bath. I only have chlorine and Hydrochloride Acid on hand. Order a Taylor K-2006 online last night.

just used strip to test the water. FCI: 0; ALK: 180; pH; 8.4; CyA: 40

What should I do?
    16 x 35, inground pool with Ultra Poz finishing, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair filter with new cartridges, Brand new Pentair MasterTemp heater. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: When can I start to add chemicals into the pool after replastered pool?

What should I do?
    You should start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. There you will learn what you should test for and why you are testing it.

Secondly, your strips are pretty worthless. Wait 'til your good kit gets in and by then you should know why you are testing and what the results mean. Post up your test results and we will all help you interpret them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You haven't added anything in 20 days on new plaster?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, duraleigh. I read the article about starting a new pool. I don't think the pool plaster guy came in everyday to brush my pool. I think they did a couple times in the first two weeks after replastered my pool. They keep the pump running for a few days and replace the filter cartridges. There were still dust came off when I brush the pool last weekend. I still saw some dust at the bottom of pool this morning. Now my 3 year old pump is leaking . Tried to fix it but couldn't loose the bolts (corrosion). May have to take it to somebody to get it fixed.

bdavis466, I think the pool company checked my pool for two weeks. Then I haven't heard anything from them since.

I was just wondering if it's time to take care the pool myself.
    16 x 35, inground pool with Ultra Poz finishing, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair filter with new cartridges, Brand new Pentair MasterTemp heater. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If the numbers you got from the test strips are remotely close, then it's definitely time to get to work.

How many gallons do you suspect the pool to be?

Post up your numbers once you get your test kit.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

6. Back To Top    #6

est. 1800 gal.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is important to maintain PH betweem 7.2 and 7.8 in all pools. It is REALLy important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 in newly plastered pools.

It is also important to have a good test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Start here in Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Here is a good page on chemicals, what they are and how to use them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach