Noob water chemistry

Feb 16, 2016
new york
Hi,
I just hooked up my 350 gal hot tub and used the bromine the dealer gave me. My water readings are off and unwanted to make sure I add the right chemicals.

1ppm FC
1.5 Cc
6.8 Ph
35 alk
20 CA

I know I need to build up basically everything, no?

So am I wrong to assume I need to add...

More bromine? Or am I adding bleach to build up the FC?

Mule 20 to build up the alk and ph?

If I'm correct then is 3/4 vup the correct dose of both?

I think im starting to regret not just doing the Dichlor/bleach method.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Your numbers look just a little suspect to me so I'll ask, what are you using for testing? make/model of the test kit.

Bromine and Chlorine are different sanaitizers Generally you choose one or theother to maintain your tub. I would suggest reading through these threads:

How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Do you also have a pool or is the spa all you have? I only ask because if you have both, then maintaining the spa the same as the pool helps ease confusion. I use the dichlor/bleach method only because a few times a year I can just dump the tub into the pool and start over fresh.

Welcome to TFP. Congrats on the new tub. I am a fan of the dichlor then bleach because I use bleach in my pool too so there is always some around. You can drain the tub and start over with dichlor then bleach anytime you want.

If those results are from a test strip or pool store then they don't mean a lot. Neither of those sources provide reliable test results and the pool store is always happy to sell you something you don't need. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 (not 2005) or the TF100. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net and have for many years.

When you do get ready to make adjustments to your water chemistry here is a nice summary of chemicals, what they are, what they do and how to use them. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I'm using a Taylor 2006 test kit. I had a pool two years ago and ran it successfully with bbb. This bromine is all new to me which is why I feel like draining and refilling. Forgot to mention, I have an ozonator on my tub.
I won't go into the ozonator now. I had one on my last tub and never really saw a difference.

In the grand scheme of things dumping a few hundred gallons of water and starting back with what you are comfortable with is not the end of the world.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.