Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Strainer housing - causing air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Strainer housing - causing air leak

Hi everyone,

today I noticed that I had bubbles in my strainer pot and my return lines today.

Spent several hour trying to find the suction side air leak.

replaced pot lid, o rings, replaced jandy valve o rings, searched for air leak.

finally located it on the strainer housing itself, just behind the strainer lid on the housing itself.

It spit out water from that area just after I turned off the pump.

So it was not any of the normal culprits.

Good news is after wasting the whole afternoon I finally found the air leak, bad news is it is not a simple o ring fix.

I am looking for advice on how to fix this, I would rather not have to replace the whole strainer housing and re attach the motor and inlet and outlet fitting etc.

Is there a compound I could use to repair the leak?, it seems to be a really small leak, just two small spits of water after the pump turned off, seems to be where the 2 halves of the housing meet, an obvious weak point.

Im hoping I can use some strong plastic water proof resin or something that will patch up those holes and I can move on.

I am sure this is the air leak because when i poured water over this area while the pump was running the air bubbles in the strainer pot stopped, when i removed the water the bubbles came back.

Its in a pretty hard to reach area, but I can get in there and use some repair compound to fix it.

Any advice as to what material would work best would be most appreciated.

thank you
    9,000 gallon pool
    In ground Gunite and plaster
    Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 1 HP super II pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking Strainer housing - causing air leak

I saw a post where someone recommended plast aid.

Anyone have any success with this?

Plast-aid multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.
    9,000 gallon pool
    Cartridge Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I was curious about this. My first thought was JB Weld plastic epoxy. But, it says it doesn't work with certain plastics so I tried to Google what type of plastic the pump housing is made of and in my search I found this old TFP thread that says it doesn't work. But, they fixed their housing with a soldering iron, a couple of other people also chimed in with some ideas.
    How to fix a cracked pump housing
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I ended up using a plastic epoxy and silicone, did the trick, no more bubbles or sloshing water in the strainer basket. Only question is how long will it hold. Don't want to fork out $200 for the strainer assembly alone, but it could come to that one day.
    9,000 gallon pool
    Cartridge Filter