Cloudy pool, first-timer here

I got up this morning and tested my pH and it was about 7.3 in my estimation, so I went ahead and added the chlorine to start the SLAM test. That being said, my FC level was the same as last night, so I seem to have passed the OCLT test. The water looks much better than before the two refills, of course, but I wouldn't call it a "sparkling pool."

Just took my first reading after beginning the SLAM (waited a bit more than an hour), and FC is at 16.5, yay! I hadn't thought about raising it to 20 (that makes PERFECT sense, thank you, CowboyCasey), so will do that adjustment.

Here's my thought; please chime in if I'm not thinking clearly.......I'll do the SLAM today.......clean the filter, brush the pool, etc......if I get up in the morning, and I've passed the OCLT test and don't have any combined chlorine, but pool is not completely clear, will I continue the slam?? Not sure I'm perfectly objective on what the definition will be of "clear" at this point. Thanks thanks thanks.

I will post my next FC result. It's great to have all of you here!

Your pool is clear when................you can see the screws heads on your main drain, when you can read heads/tails on a quarter, when you look out and wonder where your water has gone! (yes I did that one time! About had a heart attack!)

When you look at it in the sun with a small ripple of top and it looks like a jewel!

THAT is when your pool is clear!

kim

I got up this morning and tested my pH and it was about 7.3 in my estimation, so I went ahead and added the chlorine to start the SLAM test. That being said, my FC level was the same as last night, so I seem to have passed the OCLT test. The water looks much better than before the two refills, of course, but I wouldn't call it a "sparkling pool."

Just took my first reading after beginning the SLAM (waited a bit more than an hour), and FC is at 16.5, yay! I hadn't thought about raising it to 20 (that makes PERFECT sense, thank you, CowboyCasey), so will do that adjustment.

Here's my thought; please chime in if I'm not thinking clearly.......I'll do the SLAM today.......clean the filter, brush the pool, etc......if I get up in the morning, and I've passed the OCLT test and don't have any combined chlorine, but pool is not completely clear, will I continue the slam?? Not sure I'm perfectly objective on what the definition will be of "clear" at this point. Thanks thanks thanks.

I will post my next FC result. It's great to have all of you here!
Yes. You have to pass all three tests at the same time. No CC, no Loss, and clear water. And clear applies after brushing! It's very possible to pass the first two tests and still have small patches of algae on the tile grout. You need to make sure it's all gone before you let up on the bleach. Do it right once and maintain adequate FC and you may never have to SLAM again. I've gone about 6 years without any cloudy or green water.

Ok, I have been SLAM'ing away. Pool started looking significantly clearer yesterday morning. I am stoked! Just took apart our Polaris 360 and it had algae, so we're cleaning that up. I've kept pool at shock level consistently (tested it once at 14.5 - should be at 16, so I dropped a teeny bit).

I will try overnight chlorine loss test tonight. Is this correct procedure? I assume I'll have to check chlorine level tonight, then adjust chlorine, then test again. Then test in the a.m. Unless anyone thinks I'm not possibly ready for the overnight test yet, lol. I don't want to be in too much of a hurry.

If anyone wants to address this future question now, feel free - once I have the pool chemicals in balance, how often do you all check your levels? Chlorine every day? Full test how often? Or partial once in a while, then full less often? I REALLY want to do this right from now on, and never have these problems again. I will also have to correct my low Calcium level after this is done - assuming that's straightforward?

I can't say enough how wonderful it is to have the support on this forum. I love picking all your collective brains! I've had pools off and on for much of my life, but I'm just realizing how much I DON'T know about them.

I just navigated to the forum section on testing - how much, how often, etc, so disregard that question if you like ;-)

Last edited:
It is never too early to do an OCLT. Just take the reading after sunset and 30 min or so after your last chlorine addition to make sure it is well mixed. SWG off, if applicable. Be as precise as possible with sample size, hold the bottle vertically for best drop formation for both tests and try to be consistent from test to test.

Elephant in the room, ah yes. Yes, I believe we must have overused the "pucks" in our four years with this pool. That's my assumption, anyway. Just bought a brand new giant container of them RIGHT before I got into the forum, lucky me! I assume I am probably never to use them again, or only in certain circumstances. I travel occasionally, so I'm going to have to figure out, as time goes by, what I can do when I'm gone.....I have probably thought I was fine just utilizing the pucks and being lazy with liquid chlorine. Now I am using liquid chlorine from my local pool store.

Random question.......I've seen many posts discussing the use of standard household 6% bleach vs. my pool store's liquid chlorine at 12.5%. I also see the TFP for beginners suggests using the 6%. Is there a downside to using the pool store's jugs? Is it just a cost issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello again Scubie. Generally, it all boils-down to cost and what's most efficient. Pool store liquid shock (10-12%) might be stronger, but you'll probably pay more as well. Also, liquid shock with a higher % rate is likely to loose strength quickly as well if it's been on the shelf for a while. I feed my pool manually with regular bleach from the grocery store. Always local generic (i.e. Wal-Mart) that is 8.25% at just under $3 per gallon. Once you get your pool "feeding" down to a regular routine, you'll know just about how much to add each day like clockwork. Just shop around and look for good prices. I would stay away from jugs that look like they've been stored in the heat outside, and look at the Julian dates on the jug (i.e. 15350 = year 2015, December). Today you hope to find something like "16057".

It is never too early to do an OCLT. Just take the reading after sunset and 30 min or so after your last chlorine addition to make sure it is well mixed. SWG off, if applicable. Be as precise as possible with sample size, hold the bottle vertically for best drop formation for both tests and try to be consistent from test to test.

Good to know, pooldv, thank you. Ordered more reagent to make sure I'll get through SLAM, so will do OCLT Monday night. Glad to know my OCD tendencies are going to be put to good use!!

Thanks for the chlorine tips. I believe I'll be switching to generic bleach from now on.

Ok, I've passed the OCLT!! What's next? Should I do next? Full chemical test? I know my calcium level was too low (70) prior to the SLAM. Am I ready to correct that, or should I wait until FC level is within normal range? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Lets review your pool:

Is is clear? Can you see the screw heads on the main drain?
Did you pass the OCLT? YES!
Do you have less than .5 CC?

IF ALL of these are yes...............you are done! We will move on once we know these important answers!

Kim

Hello all, here are my new, post-SLAM, FC below 10 numbers!

FC: 7

pH: 7.8

TA: 100

CH: 70

CYA: 40

I am assuming I should tweak my pH, and then add calcium, and then start my daily testing regimen. Please chime in! Thanks!

Congrats on the SLAM! Nice to have that behind you. Yes, be prepared to adjust pH slightly lower so it doesn't go over 7.8. Your TA "may" be pulling the pH up as well, so you may want to read this page which may help you: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. As for CH, that is a bit low.

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.