Houston Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm not sure where to post my question. I have a chlorine pool following the TFP method since August 2015 and everything has been great.

I've notice on my travertine spillway in the corner a substance that started off mostly white and now is looking white/blue. It is hard since I tried to brush it and nothing happened. It almost looks like it is coming from the area between the travertine piece and the side piece of travertine, if that makes sense. See attached picture. Any ideas on what it is or how to correct it?

spillway1.jpg

As far as removing the existing deposit, you'll probably need to do so mechanically. I don't think a chemical treatment will touch it. Once it is removed, you can try to use professional grade penetrating sealer to keep the water out of the stone/mortar and then monitoring your water chemistry (PH) carefully.

From your picture its hard to see how this is constructed, but if the stone spillway is set in plain mortar, that MIGHT be why you're experiencing this phenomenon and others with similar stone spillways are not. This one's a head-scratcher . . .

I had the same buildup on my Travertine spillway. I mechanically removed it.
It came back a little but not nearly as much.
One more removal and I think it will be stabilized.
I also have it on my moss rock waterfall in certain areas of the mortar.
It will take a little longer to resolve I think.

My PB said I needed to use 4 to 1, MA to water in a spray bottle and then get a brush and a little elbow grease and it should come right off. i will try it on Friday. He said the blue tint is from metals in the water which I have never checked. I have never had this problem before but I will check first to confirm before I add any metal remover. My pool has been crystal clear thanks to following the recommendations on this site and I don't want to add anything without knowing for sure it is absolutely needed.

Thanks again.

A little MA and plenty of water in a bottle along with a brush took care of the problem. I was concerned about using MA on travertine but diluted it was not an issue at all. I will watch it and should it return not take as long to address it next time. Thanks to all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.