Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Travertine Spillway - Blue/White Substance

1. Back To Top    #1

Travertine Spillway - Blue/White Substance

I'm not sure where to post my question. I have a chlorine pool following the TFP method since August 2015 and everything has been great.

I've notice on my travertine spillway in the corner a substance that started off mostly white and now is looking white/blue. It is hard since I tried to brush it and nothing happened. It almost looks like it is coming from the area between the travertine piece and the side piece of travertine, if that makes sense. See attached picture. Any ideas on what it is or how to correct it?

spillway1.jpg
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Travertine Spillway - Blue/White Substance

Looks like alkali-silica gel reaction or ASR. It's coming out of the mortar joint not the stone right?

3. Back To Top    #3

That is correct.

Any idea on how to correct and or prevent it from reoccurring if I can fix it?
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

4. Back To Top    #4

As far as removing the existing deposit, you'll probably need to do so mechanically. I don't think a chemical treatment will touch it. Once it is removed, you can try to use professional grade penetrating sealer to keep the water out of the stone/mortar and then monitoring your water chemistry (PH) carefully.

From your picture its hard to see how this is constructed, but if the stone spillway is set in plain mortar, that MIGHT be why you're experiencing this phenomenon and others with similar stone spillways are not. This one's a head-scratcher . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Muriatic acid will likely remove it. Do you have a pic from a bit further away? If it is coming from the mortar joint, it may simply take some time for it to slow or stop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same buildup on my Travertine spillway. I mechanically removed it.
    It came back a little but not nearly as much.
    One more removal and I think it will be stabilized.
    I also have it on my moss rock waterfall in certain areas of the mortar.
    It will take a little longer to resolve I think.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB said I needed to use 4 to 1, MA to water in a spray bottle and then get a brush and a little elbow grease and it should come right off. i will try it on Friday. He said the blue tint is from metals in the water which I have never checked. I have never had this problem before but I will check first to confirm before I add any metal remover. My pool has been crystal clear thanks to following the recommendations on this site and I don't want to add anything without knowing for sure it is absolutely needed.

Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by espejo View Post
    My pool has been crystal clear thanks to following the recommendations on this site and I don't want to add anything without knowing for sure it is absolutely needed.

Thanks again.
    THIS is what TFP is all about! Well done sir!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I'm sorry you are having this issue with our gorgeous pool! Hopefully, it won't take too much elbow grease and it won't come back!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

10. Back To Top    #10

A little MA and plenty of water in a bottle along with a brush took care of the problem. I was concerned about using MA on travertine but diluted it was not an issue at all. I will watch it and should it return not take as long to address it next time. Thanks to all.