Hello Everyone.

Feb 14, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hi,

I'm new to pool maintenance but not new to pool ownership. My husband and I have had our pool for over six years. Since he didn't want to take on pool maintenance task, we had a pool service until last December. We resurfaced our pool last month, and I decided to do pool maintenance myself instead of paying someone else $100/mo. to come in for 5 min. every week.

Our pool was built 20 year ago. It had black spots at the bottom of pool and some part of plaster peeled off in the spa when we bought the house. We changed pool pump 3 years ago since the old one stopped working, and we also changed the heater last month while doing resurfacing. Now the pool looks a very nice. We are very happy with the new look.

However, there are still some other issues (endless problems keep coming just like the problems with a house :(.) For example, raising spa's water level drop to the pool water level after pump turned off, a long lasting issue.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to get help and advises from more experienced pool owner here and happy to be part of this community. :D

Frances

HI I bet we will be able to help you out with any problem you might have!

Lets get some house keeping done. Please fill out your signature (settings-upper right side, edit signature-left hand side). Add pool kind, size, equipment type and size, any features)

Do you have a good test kit? If so please let us know which one you have in your signature as well.

Now find the area you think will best fit your major problem and post it up and let us get to work on it.

Kim

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Finally - test strips are not a good way to test your water. We strongly urge you to order the proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) from TFTestkits.net. That is the BEST way to ensure your chemical testing is done correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

With the correct test kit, you will ensure you only put the item needed in the pool - nothing more. You should only be using items from here: Pool School - Recommended Levels.

Thank you. Texas Splash. Just upload a picture of my pool, and added the pool information. Tried to purchase Taylor K-2006 from TFTestkits.net (it is on sale), but couldn't get shipping method work. Will try it later.

Also, how do you determine how many gallons of water in a pool?

For pool sizing, you can look on the Poolmath calculator and it gives you some basic guidelines to assist. That should get you close at first. Once you have an initial estimate, then you can use the calculator later to fine-tune that number. For example: Say you estimate your pool to be 15,000 gal. You test your FC at 3 and the calculator tells you to add "X" amount to get to your new desired number (goal). If you test 30 min later and never reach that goal, your pool volume estimate may have been too high, so you can adjust it and learn from that. With some trial and error on the calculator, you'll see what I mean. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support