Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow spots

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow spots

Hi all, i am new to this forum and novice in maintaining the pool. I fired my pool guy after i found out that he was charging me for the visits he never made during winter.

So here is the problem. I see these yellow spots in one area as if something is leaking from the plaster. Do you know what this is?

Swg - 15000 - plaster

Just took the readings
    Fcl 3.5
    Ecl3.5
    Ph 7.6
    Alk 77
    Ch 360
    Cya 73

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow spots

Welcome to TFP!!

Yellow, or more orangish - like rust?

What are you using to get the test numbers? Results like 77 & 73 seem very specific.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!!

Yes like rust. Can not upload pics here.

I bought lamotte coloriq digital machine.

15000 gallon with spa, plaster, hayward ctg filter, advantageman 2hp motor, bleach, poolvac XL

4. Back To Top    #4

It very well could be rust from the shell of the pool if the plaster/gunite is beginning to break down. Or it could be rust from something that fell in the pool and sat in that spot and rusted..

Photos would really help. You can't upload them using Tapatalk, but can from a computer.

As to the Lamott ColorQ members here have reported that they tend to loose accuracy with age as well as a limitation of only registering a FC level up to 10. Above 10 it just reads "High". With a CYA of 73 (we call it 80) your FC target level should be 9 (unless you have a SWCG), which is close to the limits of your meter.

For this reason we are generally reticent to trust their results. We recomed everyone have their own accurate drop based test kit like the TF100. With that you can regularly compare readings and see if your ColorQ is beginning to "drift" off accuracy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

SWCG is shut off due to winter. Should i manually start it or add bleach?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Nayabsaiyed View Post
    SWCG is shut off due to winter. Should i manually start it or add bleach?
    The SWCG will not produce when the water is cold, so you need to manually chlorinate.

Those photos do appear to be rust to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok thanks. Were you able to see the pics? What do you think?

15000 gallon with spa, plaster, hayward ctg filter, advantageman 2hp motor, bleach, poolvac XL

9. Back To Top    #9

They look like rust. For now, you can remove them with some vitamin C tablets in a sock and scrub away. Keep an eye on your FC and add liquid chlorine/bleach as needed. As for the underlying cause, there are others better equipped to answer that.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    They look like rust. For now, you can remove them with some vitamin C tablets in a sock and scrub away. Keep an eye on your FC and add liquid chlorine/bleach as needed. As for the underlying cause, there are others better equipped to answer that.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was referring to this recommendations - Pool School - Recommended Levels

According to this it states the FC should be 3-7. What am i missing?

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    It very well could be rust from the shell of the pool if the plaster/gunite is beginning to break down. Or it could be rust from something that fell in the pool and sat in that spot and rusted..

Photos would really help. You can't upload them using Tapatalk, but can from a computer.

As to the Lamott ColorQ members here have reported that they tend to loose accuracy with age as well as a limitation of only registering a FC level up to 10. Above 10 it just reads "High". With a CYA of 73 (we call it 80) your FC target level should be 9 (unless you have a SWCG), which is close to the limits of your meter.

For this reason we are generally reticent to trust their results. We recomed everyone have their own accurate drop based test kit like the TF100. With that you can regularly compare readings and see if your ColorQ is beginning to "drift" off accuracy.

12. Back To Top    #12

I was referring to this recommendations - Pool School - Recommended Levels

You are missing CYA/Stabilizer. Our FC recommendations are all based on the CYA of the pool. You can't just look at that one chart.

Try these three articles to explain it:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you for all your replies.

I just went to the pool store to test the water. Here is what they are suggesting. Attached image. Do I really need to do the PHOSFree treatment? Or should i do the vitamin c tablet treatment?

IMG_3245.jpg

You are missing CYA/Stabilizer. Our FC recommendations are all based on the CYA of the pool. You can't just look at that one chart.

Try these three articles to explain it:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100

14. Back To Top    #14

as an alternative pool chemical test kit, i have been using taylor's K-2006C kit and have liked it very much.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you for all your replies.

I just went to the pool store to test the water. Here is what they are suggesting. Attached image. Do I really need to do the PHOSFree treatment? Or should i do the vitamin c tablet treatment?
    No, following our methods PHOSFree is not generally recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marcion333 View Post
    as an alternative pool chemical test kit, i have been using taylor's K-2006C kit and have liked it very much.
    You are correct, the K-2006C is very similar to the TF-100. They both use Taylor reagents. It is just that the TF-100 is more suited to a residential pool owner and a TFP follower as it contains more of the reagents we generally use and less (or none) of the ones we seldom if ever use. But, folks need to be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles, you need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think you are missing this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Do you have a salt (SWG) system?

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes it is salt system but chlorinator is off due to cold temperatures.

18. Back To Top    #18

Then, assuming your CYA is 80.....????? Your FC should target at 9 with a minimum of 6. You need to treat it like a non-SWG pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you can still do the vitamin C in a sock method on those spots.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank you so much. I am going to add bleach tonight.

20. Back To Top    #20

Great! Let us know when you try the Vitamin C tabs on those spots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast