Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hola, from Ajijic, Mx.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hola, from Ajijic, Mx.

I have an IGP with attached whirlpool, total about 17,000 gal. There are two returns in the pool and one in the whirlpool. One, or both pool returns have a leak. I've turned the pump off, plugged the two pool returns, closed the valves on the return pipes in the pump house, marked the water level and the level remains constant after 24 hours.
    When I open the valves in the pump house, with the returns remaining plugged, and pump still off, the pool water level decreases. There is no water in the pump house nor from the pump drain pipe.
    Very perplexing.
    Thanks for any thoughts regarding this problem, Tom
    IGP, 17,000 gal., concrete/tile construction with attached whirlpool. Two returns in pool, one in whirlpool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hola, from Ajijic, Mx.

Bienvenidos Tom! Welcome to TFP. So to make sure .... there is no main drain correct? Is all of the plumbing in the pump house exposed where you see it?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, glad to be on board...There is the "drain"in the pool bottom and whirlpool bottom. All of the plumbing in the pump house is exposed.
    IGP, 17,000 gal., concrete/tile construction with attached whirlpool. Two returns in pool, one in whirlpool.

4. Back To Top    #4

When I opened the valve for the whirlpool return jets and kept the two pool return jets closed, water went into the whirlpool, about an inch and half, and lowered the pool water about 3/16 ". I can only surmise that pool water flowed into the whirlpool and out of the pool by the bottom 'drains'. But why?

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter