Pool filter continuously not performing

riehs

Feb 14, 2016
MIAMI
I have a relatively new to me pool int he house i moved into nearly a year ago. When I purchased the home the pool was black and missing the pump. I replaced the pool filter with a newer model same size cartridge filter the hayward c1200 which came with a new hayward cartridge filter. I also ordered a hayward 1.5hp super pump. The pool is about 15,000 gallons rectangular shaped. I had it drained acid washed and over a period of a few weeks chemically balanced. My normal psi seems to be at 12 but after a day or two or sometimes an hour or so after cleaning the filter the psi will jump to 20. I usually cant even go a week or a few days before the filter seems to be clogged. I have a barracuda g3 which is new as well only a month old and that does not seem to be working well as it stops moving. It usually will pick up again after the filter is cleaned. I live in Florida, so the pool is running all year round, near a highway so I get alot of dust that ends up in the pool along with my neighbors leaves from their tree.

Besides the leaves that seem to blow in daily and the ants that are usually floating, the pool is crystal clear blue.

The filter cartridge is close to a year old. I clean it every week and that does not seem to be enough as the psi will jump like i said anywhere from a few hours after or a day or two after. Could this be the issue?

After reading more it seems bigger is better for the filter. Did i install a filter that is not adequate enough for the pool size and conditions?

Looking for any help on how to get a better system for the g3 to run and the filter to run efficiently.

The main cause for filters that clog quickly is algae... You say your pool is "Chemically balanced", but how do you know. What do you use to test the water and what readings do you currently have?

The reason the Back-a-Rooda stops working is because the filter will not allow enough water to flow it to make the cleaner work.

There will be a ton of people coming along to tell you more, but in the mean time, I suggest you read "Pool School" by clicking the tab at the top of this page.

Jim R.

Are you cleaning dirt, or algae off that filter? Sure would like to see a GOOD set of test results.
We have a kit or two we recommend in Pool School. Welcome to the forum.

I am using a taylor K-2006 test kit. I can post the readings tomorrow. Although i have just registered the account i have been lurking on the forum for some time.

It is dirt that I am clearing from the filter not algae. When I sweep the bottom of the pool there is no green either. Just dust.

I cleaned my filter the first time when I closed the pool and that was 3 months running about 12 hours a day, my PSI did go up by 2.. My filter is about 3 times the size of yours so you may look at getting something a bit bigger :)

Well, when you remove the filter for cleaning, how does it look? Is it full of dirt? If its clogging and causing the pressure to rise, it should be.

the C1200 is a 200 sq ft filter, so it's fairly small, but under normal circumstances, should last well more than a week before you have to clean it.

The next time you clean it, take a pic of it and show us what it looks like.

It looks like dirt. Lots of black specks and such. Small particles. I will try and take a picture over the next day or so. I am sure the psi will be up to 20 when the pump kicks on today so I will take it out.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are the photos of the filter today. The PSI was back up to 20 psi. It was 12 yesterday after I cleaned it. I hosed it down right after I took the photos and the PSI was back at 12 which is the normal operating pressure.

I also took a picture of the bottom of the canister to see an idea of the debris that is accumulating on the filter.

I have a leaf catcher just before the skimmer but it only seems to pull in the larger leaves.

I was considering buying a new filter which I wouldn't think I would have to do if only a year old but if the filter is not the correct size for the pool maybe I should consider putting in a larger one. All equipment is less than a year old.

20160215_103438_resize_zps5uroruzz.jpg

20160215_103426_resize_zpskds8cch3.jpg

20160215_103741_resize_zpsc8couypj.jpg

Will try and get the chemical readings later today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.