Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter continuously not performing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter continuously not performing

I have a relatively new to me pool int he house i moved into nearly a year ago. When I purchased the home the pool was black and missing the pump. I replaced the pool filter with a newer model same size cartridge filter the hayward c1200 which came with a new hayward cartridge filter. I also ordered a hayward 1.5hp super pump. The pool is about 15,000 gallons rectangular shaped. I had it drained acid washed and over a period of a few weeks chemically balanced. My normal psi seems to be at 12 but after a day or two or sometimes an hour or so after cleaning the filter the psi will jump to 20. I usually cant even go a week or a few days before the filter seems to be clogged. I have a barracuda g3 which is new as well only a month old and that does not seem to be working well as it stops moving. It usually will pick up again after the filter is cleaned. I live in Florida, so the pool is running all year round, near a highway so I get alot of dust that ends up in the pool along with my neighbors leaves from their tree.

Besides the leaves that seem to blow in daily and the ants that are usually floating, the pool is crystal clear blue.

The filter cartridge is close to a year old. I clean it every week and that does not seem to be enough as the psi will jump like i said anywhere from a few hours after or a day or two after. Could this be the issue?

After reading more it seems bigger is better for the filter. Did i install a filter that is not adequate enough for the pool size and conditions?

Looking for any help on how to get a better system for the g3 to run and the filter to run efficiently.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter continuously not performing

The main cause for filters that clog quickly is algae... You say your pool is "Chemically balanced", but how do you know. What do you use to test the water and what readings do you currently have?

The reason the Back-a-Rooda stops working is because the filter will not allow enough water to flow it to make the cleaner work.

There will be a ton of people coming along to tell you more, but in the mean time, I suggest you read "Pool School" by clicking the tab at the top of this page.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you cleaning dirt, or algae off that filter? Sure would like to see a GOOD set of test results.
    We have a kit or two we recommend in Pool School. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Exactly right, nothing clogs a filter faster than algae.

You can raise FC to 10ppm and Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae in the water consuming chlorine.

If yes, then it is time to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you don't have a good test kit then get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using a taylor K-2006 test kit. I can post the readings tomorrow. Although i have just registered the account i have been lurking on the forum for some time.

It is dirt that I am clearing from the filter not algae. When I sweep the bottom of the pool there is no green either. Just dust.

6. Back To Top    #6

Could be dead algae... It can look like dust.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I cleaned my filter the first time when I closed the pool and that was 3 months running about 12 hours a day, my PSI did go up by 2.. My filter is about 3 times the size of yours so you may look at getting something a bit bigger
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, when you remove the filter for cleaning, how does it look? Is it full of dirt? If its clogging and causing the pressure to rise, it should be.

the C1200 is a 200 sq ft filter, so it's fairly small, but under normal circumstances, should last well more than a week before you have to clean it.

The next time you clean it, take a pic of it and show us what it looks like.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with Dave give us a picture. Except algae, I don't understand what is clogging your filter that fast.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

It looks like dirt. Lots of black specks and such. Small particles. I will try and take a picture over the next day or so. I am sure the psi will be up to 20 when the pump kicks on today so I will take it out.

I appreciate all the feedback.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are the photos of the filter today. The PSI was back up to 20 psi. It was 12 yesterday after I cleaned it. I hosed it down right after I took the photos and the PSI was back at 12 which is the normal operating pressure.

I also took a picture of the bottom of the canister to see an idea of the debris that is accumulating on the filter.

I have a leaf catcher just before the skimmer but it only seems to pull in the larger leaves.

I was considering buying a new filter which I wouldn't think I would have to do if only a year old but if the filter is not the correct size for the pool maybe I should consider putting in a larger one. All equipment is less than a year old.

Will try and get the chemical readings later today.