Moving A Pool

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
We built a new house last year. The old house we had an oval 16'x32' pool. I put it up myself. I got it used but it had already been taken down. We are going to take down and move a 28' round pool this weekend. I don't know the brand, I can find out if that makes a difference. I'm assuming that all above ground pools are more or less constructed the same. There's plastic top rails to remove, then there's a liner and possibly track for the liner, there are some number of t-posts connected by straps that run under the liner to hold the wall in place. There's also the pool wall of course. Any tips on the wall? Should I lay it flat to roll it up or try to roll it up as I remove it? There will also be ground track for the wall. There will of course be plumbing to disconnect and possibly a bonding wire to remove. How long should this take? A few hours or is it an all day event? It will be me, my wife and a friend of mine. The pool will be empty when we get there.

What an adventure you are about to go on. I bet there is a you tube out there.

I know when we took down our old pool to give it to some one we laid the wall out as flat as possible. We were VERY careful to not allow it to crease. Lets see if I can write how we did it...........

-take off all plumbing and move it away from the work area.

-take off the top rails and move away from the work area

-remove the liner (know you are going to have to replace the liner. We have not had any liner that were reusable so far :(

-I did not have straps so do not know how that will go.

-unbolt the wall where it meets.

-with 3 people-------one at the end, one in the middle, one (the strong one) at the beginning. Make sure to plan ahead to where you are going to take the wall. Plan on having it outside down.

-strong person will pick up the beginning and start walking it out of the bottom track, middle person (second strongest person) will start pulling up their part out of the tracks and walking with the lead person.

-when it comes time for the end person to start picking up their end you might want to see if they can chance places with the middle person IF they are not able to pick up and stabilize the wall.

-Go ahead and spray the wall off and clean it up.

-have something ready to hold the wall -tape, bungee strap, tiedown. You will want to roll it tight enough to keep it stable BUT not to dent it.

-take up the bottom track and wash it out.

I would take pictures of it before and during the take down so you can put it back together.

Have bowls with lids for the hardware.

Good luck!

Kim

If the old liner dries out any before you attempt to reinstall it-----pretty much game over. I'd figure a new liner into the cost of the relocation. There is no telling how much age and or chemical maintinence has affected it.

Yeah I know all that about the liner. She doesn't. I'm not going to push it just yet. I'm moving the liner either way, I have to haul it off even if we don't use it again. I figure it will dry out like it's going to and she will see it's not useable. I've already told her lining up the cutouts is difficult if not impossible.

I'd roll the wall as it's coming out of the track and have duct tape ready. I'd also just buy a new liner. I get wanting to be cheap n save but not on a liner. Especially if your floor doesn't line up with the same depth of their floor... you are not lining that liner up and then you have to patch a big hole and that just looks like garbage in my opinion.

My wife has agreed that we will need a new liner. I will still haul the old one off just to be polite but I'm not going to try and save it. For the pool wall I've been looking at videos, most of them have you rolling it up as you take it out of the track. I've got straps to keep it rolled up when it's done.

Well we brought the pool home last weekend. It's a bit older pool but the wall is in good shape. The only issue was more rust than I wanted around the skimmer opening, there was a leak at some point. I'm going to rivet in some aluminum to re-enforce it. I didn't keep the liner, in fact the seller said leave it, if he couldn't cut it into sections and use them as a tarp he'd haul it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't take much of a leak to start the rust. Could have been from a dry rotted gasket that was never changed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.