Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not filling

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not filling

Trying to figure out why the pump basket isn't filling. The only time it does is when I pour some water in so it can prime. I've checked to make sure the impaler isn't clogged by sticking a screwdriver in to feel if it turns, which it does. The pool vacuum seems to be working. Seems to prime fine once I pour the water in but once I shut it down the water starts going down to maybe to where it's only a 1/3 fill.
    Inground SWP, 10,000 gals., Pebble Sheen, Hayward pump cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG, year installed 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not filling

Generally, when the pump basket loses water after shut-down it's because there is an air leak somewhere - usually on the suction side. Have you tried everything on this page yet? Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what type of filter do you have (sand?) Sometimes, a bad multiport valve/gasket can influence your system seal.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, didn't know about that page, thanks. I will check it out along with the suggestions on what to do. Couldn't do anything about it today, had to work. I'll get on it tomorrow. To answer your question: I use cartridge filters.
    Inground SWP, 10,000 gals., Pebble Sheen, Hayward pump cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG, year installed 2011

4. Back To Top    #4

Update: Pump seems to be working fine now. Cleaned the O ring off with the hose, had the hose run water into the pump for a few minutes, turned everything back on and ran the pump. Water filled up, pump ran fine. Turned the pump off. No air leak. No water loss. Pump is staying fill. Thanks for the help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!