Learned a Lesson - and a question

Thanks for the help guys. This was my first and hopefully last SLAM. And I certainly learned from my mistakes. I've already bought another timer to get the pots the circulation they need. And I also ordered a pool cleaner to help clear debris. I figured out that I can't be relied upon to keep things up without additional automation. Chlorine checks and additions are something I can do and even more so since I've seen the problems with complacency.

The water is getting a little additional scrub right now via some DE in the sand filter. I did that last year and it worked great.

Two things:

1. I hate the stupid wind messing up my nicely clean pool.
2. How often do I need to run the water feature? Advice here as been as low as once per day for 10 mins, and as much as 3x per day for an unspecified amount of time. That's quite a variance.

Two things:

1. I hate the stupid wind messing up my nicely clean pool.
2. How often do I need to run the water feature? Advice here as been as low as once per day for 10 mins, and as much as 3x per day for an unspecified amount of time. That's quite a variance.

Yup, TFP's one downside - you can now see all the dirt and leaves in your pool and it will drive you crazy! I have a love-hate relationship with a mesquite tree near my pool. Yesterday we had a lot of afternoon wind and all the needles and leaflets dropped in my pool. I had to manually vacuum and nearly plugged up my leaf canister with all the mesquite junk. But now my pool is sparkly-clean again.

In the winter, I drain my waterfall and "winterize" my waterfall pump to shut it all down (this way the Freeze Protect doesn't run my excessively over-powered single speed 3HP water feature pump all night long....oi, I could kill the PB for installing that!!). During the hot swim season, I will usually run my waterfall 3X per day for 30mins each time and during the hot sunny part of the day to make sure my waterfall is seeing lots of chlorinated pool water. The water fall has four little basins in it and they will go green if they are not consistently refreshed with chlorinated water.

With your water jars, you might want to start out running them a few times per day to make sure they get fresh water in them. Running them too much increases aeration of the pool water and that drives up pH.

FC is still drifting down. Lost 2.0 during the day yesterday from 12.5 to 10.5 in 24 hour tests. I think with our sun here, I'm comfortable keeping the CYA in this pool between 60 and 70. I only lose it to backwashing and splashing and I've slowly lost about 10 or so since July.

I checked the pH last night even though the FC was still a bit over 10. It was about 7.6. I had done a couple preemptive MA adds while the pots were running continuously. Looks like that may have worked out fairly well. This pool only seems to require a lot of MA during the high fill times of year as our fill water has a fairly high TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.