newbie from Florida - New pool owner

Hello everyone,

New home and pool owner official yesterday!

Hoping everyone can help me understand high pressure low flow on D.E filter. This site by far has more logical/acceptable answers then the others I went on.

So I signed up. First forum I have ever been a part of.

Hopefully I can talk to the pool gods and get some much needed help.

HI! Welcome to another FL person!

I bet we can help you figure out anything you do not understand or know about your pool.

I think you should post a thread in "just getting started" Ask the question about your filter. Once you get where you understand that move on to the next thing you want help on. Do it one question at a time BUT in the same thread.

Make sure to name the thread something that stand out so we KNOW it is you. "Need help in Kissimme" would be a good one.

Kim

I suspect that you might have a misunderstanding as to what your filter "Pressure" gage is telling you. Try thinking of it as a "Resistance to flow" gage instead. As filters get dirty it gets harder and harder for the water to get through and you see this by an increase in the Pressure or Resistance to flow gage. If you think of it this way, it is obvious that as the pressure goes up, the flow will go down.

As Dave says the most likely cause is that the filter has collected enough gunk that it needs to be cleaned.

You can clean your DE filter two ways. You can do a backwash, which runs water through your filter backwards to the normal flow and flushes about 80% of the gunk. Or, you can open the filter and remove and thoroughly clean the DE grids.

Since knowing what the "clean" pressure is supposed to be is very important, I suggest you do a full cleaning. It is relativity easy to do, but, depending on your previous pool experience, it might make sense to have a pool service come out and show you how it is done. From then on you can just do it yourself.

Jim R.