Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Connecticut

What size Pump?

I've read the lessons on head loss, velocity, etc etc. However, when I look at the chart of Total Head to Flow. If my numbers fall between pump sizes, should you go with the lower 1 HP fro me or upsize to 1.5 HP?

I have 26,730 gal pool (18x36x5.5 x 7.5) @ 8hrs turn that is 55.7 (56gpm) flow. I'd like to get about 60gpm flow to turn over a little more. Total Head estimated to be around 46 (17 on pressure gauge x2.31 + 5). Using the attached Hayward Head to Flow chart, it shows between 1hp and 1.5 HP. I will also be eliminating my depend main drain this spring. That will prob change my numbers. The distance of the piping from my skimmer is about 26 feet. I am upsizing my sand filter from the S220T to the S244T for a higher flow rate.

Should I go with 1hp or 1.5hp ? and while the ditch is open, should I change all piping to 2" vs 1.5" .... or maybe just the suction line to 2"?

Please help !!

18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: What size Pump?

Mas985 can get into the math and hydraulics. From being on this forum a long time and reading what he posts, I can say that a full rated (not up-rated) 1HP pump is perfectly adequate. The S244T filter is big enough for that pump but a little too small for the 1.5 full-rated pump.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School