Concerned Contractor used wrong plaster color

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi,
We recently upgraded from an above ground pool to an inground pool when we moved into in a new home The pool was in bad shape, and needed a complete overhaul including new waterline tile, new plaster, new light, new safety drain, and all new pool equipment and plumbing. We choose the contractor for he said he used diamond brite quartz finish, and yet the color choice he gave us were not on the diamond brite color chart. First red flag. He said that he mixed his own color from the diamond brite and called it "medium grey". He sent us a few sample pictures and we choose from those. Then the color of the plaster is very different from the sample pictures he gave us. Plaster was completed four days ago, and we are busy brushing it and balancing the water Of course he is out of town, so I cannot ask him to look at it. The owner didn't get a chance to come by to check the work after it was done yet.
What are our options, if any, to have it re-plastered or fixed in some way? Any suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated.

The first photo is the sample color we were given. The second photo is our pool today. We made a point of taking the picture when the sun was out and no clouds in the sky.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Medium gray (2).jpg
    Medium gray (2).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 737
  • Nelson Pool Full Sun Plaster 2-2016 3.jpg
    Nelson Pool Full Sun Plaster 2-2016 3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 735
If it has only been 4 days your plaster and water is not at it's finial color yet. There will be some green due to the new. How long depends on the pool and area.

I think the color in your pool so far is very pretty.

The only way to change it would be to chip it out and replaster it :(

Kim

Do you feel up to forcing the issue and having them replace it? I'm sure that would be a headache, although the color isn't the one you expected so you're entitled by contract I guess?

You could probably get some financial return for the wrong color, but to tell you the truth- I like the second better!

FWIW, I am now about 2-3 weeks after plaster and it has changed substantially. Went from looking super blue right away to dark blue to green, and now it's the Aqua blue color. We also felt like it looked a lot darker than we expected for a while.

Btw, make sure you're brushing (it's such a pain :) ).

Thanks for your replies! They are so helpful!

I don't know if I have it in me to ask to have it changed. It's been a frustrating experience asking them to redo some things or to do it the way they said they would. Being a woman working with them has been frustrating, and they always look to my husband about the particulars, but I'm the one who had done her homework on TFP and other places!!

I'm sort of ok with the color, but really wanted a lighter color in the first place. I'm hoping you all are right that the color will change some. Maybe some kind of refund would be good.

Good ideas! Thanks!

Spoke with the contractor today and got the stock answer that he couldn't guarantee a color in a picture. Jeesh, then why chose any color or pay extra for one? He said we couldn't compare pictures due to different times of day, weather, etc, but the photos of the color sample were different pools with the same color. He finally said the plaster hadn't cured and could get lighter in color.
I'm happier with that reply.
However, turns out a newly installed return was not working, and after doing some digging into the pvc pipe we found a large sponge in it! How did the sponge get there?
Sigh!
Can't wait until it's summer and we are swimming and worrying about any of this stuff!!
Below is a photo from the other side
6c8bf5bc79b16bc04bcdbed91aa03296.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the color, that's what I am shooting for, but agree with you that dealing with all the PB issues and excuses gets old, I am about 2 wks from plaster and will be SOOOOOOOOOOO glad with this is behind me due to the issues we have run into.

Hi And5555, thanks for checking in! Can't tell today because of the rain and clouds. It was looking a little bit lighter, but I'll wait for a sunny day to take pictures. I'm so relieved to know your pool color changed a lot in the first month! Thanks!

I'm glad it may be getting more in line with what you were expecting.
A couple of other things to keep in mind when looking at the photos is water depth, angle of the sun and angle of the photo.
It appears that their sample photo captures more of the water with a lower angle. it also looks like the shot was taken from the shallow end which would be lighter. It appears the angle of the sun is different as well. With all that said, I think your water looks great and hope it comes around to how you want it to look.

Well it's been a little over a month, and the color of the pool water was cured to a color I'm happy with! Thanks for all of your advice and support! Now I can't wait until swimming weather!
I'm not sure what color mix the contractor used. He does use Diamond Brite Quartz; however, the name he gave it wasn't listed on the official website. He called it "medium gray". PM me if you want his contact information.

Here are some updated photos
1aa195b66a69cc8e13251af6dd85d1d7.jpg
d9a52472ba03ceb03f029b8e3901848e.jpg
69331cbd6903e73b91342b59f2fb7028.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.