Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned Contractor used wrong plaster color

1. Back To Top    #1

Concerned Contractor used wrong plaster color

Hi,
    We recently upgraded from an above ground pool to an inground pool when we moved into in a new home The pool was in bad shape, and needed a complete overhaul including new waterline tile, new plaster, new light, new safety drain, and all new pool equipment and plumbing. We choose the contractor for he said he used diamond brite quartz finish, and yet the color choice he gave us were not on the diamond brite color chart. First red flag. He said that he mixed his own color from the diamond brite and called it "medium grey". He sent us a few sample pictures and we choose from those. Then the color of the plaster is very different from the sample pictures he gave us. Plaster was completed four days ago, and we are busy brushing it and balancing the water Of course he is out of town, so I cannot ask him to look at it. The owner didn't get a chance to come by to check the work after it was done yet.
    What are our options, if any, to have it re-plastered or fixed in some way? Any suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated.

The first photo is the sample color we were given. The second photo is our pool today. We made a point of taking the picture when the sun was out and no clouds in the sky.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concerned Contractor used wrong plaster color

If it has only been 4 days your plaster and water is not at it's finial color yet. There will be some green due to the new. How long depends on the pool and area.

I think the color in your pool so far is very pretty.

The only way to change it would be to chip it out and replaster it

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you feel up to forcing the issue and having them replace it? I'm sure that would be a headache, although the color isn't the one you expected so you're entitled by contract I guess?

You could probably get some financial return for the wrong color, but to tell you the truth- I like the second better!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to admit: I really, really like the current, darker color!!! It is so rich. It is hard to tell if it is consisent throughout. Is it?

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, I am now about 2-3 weeks after plaster and it has changed substantially. Went from looking super blue right away to dark blue to green, and now it's the Aqua blue color. We also felt like it looked a lot darker than we expected for a while.

Btw, make sure you're brushing (it's such a pain ).
    Construction underway.

33x23 freeform 16k gallon IG pool, pebblesheen, SWG in Austin, TX
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, Hayward 30" sand filter
    Build thread: New Austin, TX Owner Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your replies! They are so helpful!

I don't know if I have it in me to ask to have it changed. It's been a frustrating experience asking them to redo some things or to do it the way they said they would. Being a woman working with them has been frustrating, and they always look to my husband about the particulars, but I'm the one who had done her homework on TFP and other places!!

I'm sort of ok with the color, but really wanted a lighter color in the first place. I'm hoping you all are right that the color will change some. Maybe some kind of refund would be good.

Good ideas! Thanks!
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

7. Back To Top    #7

You're getting a ton of green reflection off of all of those trees flanking the side and end. No wonder it doesn't look the same . . .

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    You're getting a ton of green reflection off of all of those trees flanking the side and end. No wonder it doesn't look the same . . .
    I agree. Take the picture from the opposite angle.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. Will do.
    Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Concerned Contractor used wrong plaster color

Spoke with the contractor today and got the stock answer that he couldn't guarantee a color in a picture. Jeesh, then why chose any color or pay extra for one? He said we couldn't compare pictures due to different times of day, weather, etc, but the photos of the color sample were different pools with the same color. He finally said the plaster hadn't cured and could get lighter in color.
    I'm happier with that reply.
    However, turns out a newly installed return was not working, and after doing some digging into the pvc pipe we found a large sponge in it! How did the sponge get there?
    Sigh!
    Can't wait until it's summer and we are swimming and worrying about any of this stuff!!
    Below is a photo from the other side

11. Back To Top    #11

I think the water color is very pretty!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

I love the color, that's what I am shooting for, but agree with you that dealing with all the PB issues and excuses gets old, I am about 2 wks from plaster and will be SOOOOOOOOOOO glad with this is behind me due to the issues we have run into.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yup, the color is nice but not what we chose. So frustrating. I hope all of your builds and remodels are going smoothly and that summer gets here soon!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Curious if the color has changed since its been a while? On my Aqua blue, I saw a huge change over the first 30 days.
    Construction underway.

33x23 freeform 16k gallon IG pool, pebblesheen, SWG in Austin, TX
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, Hayward 30" sand filter
    Build thread: New Austin, TX Owner Build

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi And5555, thanks for checking in! Can't tell today because of the rain and clouds. It was looking a little bit lighter, but I'll wait for a sunny day to take pictures. I'm so relieved to know your pool color changed a lot in the first month! Thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm glad it may be getting more in line with what you were expecting.
    A couple of other things to keep in mind when looking at the photos is water depth, angle of the sun and angle of the photo.
    It appears that their sample photo captures more of the water with a lower angle. it also looks like the shot was taken from the shallow end which would be lighter. It appears the angle of the sun is different as well. With all that said, I think your water looks great and hope it comes around to how you want it to look.
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

Taste is something so unique isn't it? I absolutely love this color! I don't know what he used but it turned out gorgeous! Would it be possible to ask him for the formula he used?

13k gallon 10x35 IG salt water pool 8x10 spa Hayward ecostar variable speed pump with remote. Diamond Brite cobalt. Diamond brite watercolors

18. Back To Top    #18

I think your water is beautiful!! Hope you are enjoying it...
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

19. Back To Top    #19

Well it's been a little over a month, and the color of the pool water was cured to a color I'm happy with! Thanks for all of your advice and support! Now I can't wait until swimming weather!
    I'm not sure what color mix the contractor used. He does use Diamond Brite Quartz; however, the name he gave it wasn't listed on the official website. He called it "medium gray". PM me if you want his contact information.

Here are some updated photos

20. Back To Top    #20

Great news! I'm glad it all worked out in the end. I looks fantastic!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast