Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Returns on same wall as skimmer on IG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Returns on same wall as skimmer on IG Pool

Does anyone have experience with having the returns on the same side of the pool as the skimmer? If so, any issues?

I am having my pool plumbing redone. The are recommending having the 2 returns on same side of skimmer and the eyes pointed down at a 45 deg angle. Right now I have 2 returns but one on the skimmer side and one opposite. I also have 2 returns in the stairs. Not sure they do much to help circulation.

Thanks,
    Rich
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Returns on same wall as skimmer on IG Pool

Mine are setup that way. Periodically I redirect the jets, but most of the time they aim toward the walls rather than down.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it seem like you get good water flow back to the skimmer ?
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

The goal for optimum skimming is to create a circular flow pattern, either clockwise or counterclockwise. Usually one way will work better than the other depending on the wind. All returns should be pointed in the same direction to create the circular flow.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the best way to create a circular pattern in a rectangular pool?

Thanks,
    Rich

6. Back To Top    #6

Experiment with different directions. I put ping pong balls in and watch their pattern and adjust.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Good idea on the ping pong balls. The theory is the same for rectangular or curved wall pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach