Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I add less DE?

1. Back To Top    #1

Glendora, CA

Should I add less DE?

I recently added DE powder after cleaning the filters. The filter had some holes which the powder went into the pool causing the base surface to be cloudy.

Anyways, I just bought brand new filters but don't know if I should cut back on the DE recommended powder since I recently pour some.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Should I add less DE?

When you replaced the grids, didn't the DE leave with the old grids?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Should I add less DE?

Assuming the extra DE is in the pool and not the filter, I would add the full amount and just know that the filters will clog up quicker than usual because you'll vacuum up the stuff in the pool.

The reason is that DE screens are pretty sensitive. If you undercharge it, parts of the filter will not be coated, and any sand or grit or twigs that you vacuum up could get embedded in the screen when they aren't coated. Imagine a bunch of kitchen sponges covering a screen made of chicken wire. That's a DE filter under a microscope. The DE coats the screens and seals up the openings and the water gets filtered through the pores. If you're missing a patch, the water will go through that instead of the coating because the holes are bigger.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!