How are you supposed to search for relevant posts

dandjpool

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
Illinois
How are you supposed to search for previous postings relevant to your situation when common words are excluded?
I can't include 'chlorine' in my search string because it it too common. It makes the search function all but useless.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I have trouble doing searches too.... :oops:

I'm sure there is a trick we are missing.... :?

I tried all the search functions I use on other sites and nothing seems to work.
I understand it would tax the server too much if you are searching for words like 'the' but it won't allow you to search for chlorine (too common) or pH (too short) even if its in a string you are searching for like "reasons for pH to be high" or "reason for high chlorine levels".

If you look on the very bottom left of every page you will see the google custom search box. Use that instead of the search function built into the BBS software. It often works much better which is why it has been included! :goodjob:

dandjpool said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
What are you looking for? Maybe I can help. :wink:

My chlorine levels are off the chart at 38ppm and I haven't added any chlorine to the pool in weeks. (I am getting ready to install a SWG)
Have you had the pool covered or have you been uncovering it daily? Are there any tablets in the chlorine feeder? What are you using the ORP controller for?

Remember, the cover will keep chlorine in the pool!

waterbear said:
If you look on the very bottom left of every page you will see the google custom search box. Use that instead of the search function built into the BBS software. It often works much better which is why it has been included! :goodjob:

I think you told me this once before and I forgot. :oops: :hammer:

waterbear said:

When I search using the google custom search it shoots me back to the home page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waterbear said:
dandjpool said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
What are you looking for? Maybe I can help. :wink:

My chlorine levels are off the chart at 38ppm and I haven't added any chlorine to the pool in weeks. (I am getting ready to install a SWG)
Have you had the pool covered or have you been uncovering it daily? Are there any tablets in the chlorine feeder? What are you using the ORP controller for?

Remember, the cover will keep chlorine in the pool!

It's been covered quite a bit. Only opened 2 or 3 times a week for an 1-2 hours at a time. I opened it on March 17th (I'm in Illinois like you(nope you are in Florida, I thought I was replying to fpm)) and we are only swimming when the weather permits.

I know the chlorine will not dissipate when the cover is closed but how could my levels rise and by so much when I'm not adding any?
I have an auto chlorine feeder and I have it turned down very low. The orp tests the water as it runs through the feeder and drops chlorine into a reservoir when levels are low enough to warrant it.

I would say the most likely culprit is the ORP controller not working properly. Imagine that! :roll: Not that uncommon at all which is why I usually do not recommend ORP controllers for residential pools. Unless you keep on top of them to make sure they are operating properly you can run it problems and the false sense of security the controller gives often translates into infrequent testing so problems are not spotted until they are major. I would not have kept chlorine in the pool over the winter since algae wont really grow readily below about 50 degrees. (It CAN grow under certain conditions but it is rare.)

dandjpool said:
waterbear said:

When I search using the google custom search it shoots me back to the home page.
Hmm, you are right. I will report it to the Admin!

waterbear said:
I would say the most likely culprit is the ORP controller not working properly. Imagine that! :roll: Not that uncommon at all which is why I usually do not recommend ORP controllers for residential pools. Unless you keep on top of them to make sure they are operating properly you can run it problems and the false sense of security the controller gives often translates into infrequent testing so problems are not spotted until they are major. I would not have kept chlorine in the pool over the winter since algae wont really grow readily below about 50 degrees. (It CAN grow under certain conditions but it is rare.)

I think the ORP controller has always given me false readings. Especially since I keep the pool open until November and open as soon as it thaws. The weather invariably drops below freezing a few times and even though the pool is heated and the water running past the orp is warm it starts reading all screwy and dropping chlorine like crazy. I was guessing that this was because the water is colder than usual since the feeder is on a concrete pad. I always shut it off at this point.

The thing that has me most puzzled is that I have not filled the hopper with chlorine and the level has not dropped in the hopper. So where is the chlorine coming from?
I admit I have not tested for 2 weeks and the pH was at 6.8 (7.4 now) and I thought this might be giving me a false high reading. I've tested the FC using the tf-100 and a regular test kit diluted with tap water and it is higher now than when I shocked it open. Weird.

dandjpool said:
waterbear said:

Me too. :?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.