Anyone Here Building A New Pool And Your Priced Increased From Last Year's Quote?

Singuy

Jan 11, 2016
Winter Garden FL
I am building a 700 sqft lagoon/freeform pool and this one contractor(out of 3 for now) wrote me a pretty extensive explanation about why there's an increase in cost from my 2015 quote and now my 2016 quote.

The 2015 pool was 580 sq and I just wanted an extension so now it's 700 sqft. No new anything else. The increase in size was 21%, but the new quote is 40% more expensive!

Basically I was examining the breakdown and he ends up charging me more for permits (by 325), electrical work (by 600), plumbing(by 1000), pool pump(by 500..same model and everything), salt system(same system, by 450), pump heater(by 130), and water features( same water feature as before, by 500).

Anyone else here experienced this? He is claiming that the recession put a damper on the pool business and now it's starting to pick back up therefore all his subcontractors are charging more. But I think this is BS considering he is charging me 500 dollars MORE on the same pool pump, etc.

To make matters worst, this company refused to use an autocad/pool designer program unless I pay the deposit first. Normally I don't really care, but this contractor set my pavers to be 500-800 sqft more than all my other 3 quotes(using my survey) and his drawing looks pretty identical to other people's. This contractor also has the bigger pool! I really like this contractor because they can do everything vs me having to find my own landscaper/etc etc..but I am having serious trust issues here.

Go with your gut. If you feel the price increases are unreasonable (and I think increasing the price on products that have not had a manufacturer's price increase is unreasonable) look for another builder. If you are having trust issues before a shovel hits dirt that is not a good sign. Pool builds rarely go smoothly, just because so many things can cause delays and errors. Sometimes its the builder, sometimes its the owner, and sometimes its just stuff you can't control, like the weather. If you don't have a decent working relationship at the start I doubt it will get better as the build progresses. Interview some more builders or resolve to let go of your issues and start from scratch if you feel the convenience of a one-stop shop approach is worth it.

On one hand it's good he is upfront and is basically saying they will charge what the market will bear (nothing wrong with that imo, all businesses do it, many just won't admit to it). But that is a LOT more money. I'd revisit the other quotes & get updates (I assume they are from last year too). Negotiate hard. In the end go with your gut after reviewing all the updated quotes. Your feelings may change but as mentioned go with the gut feeling. I'd personally put off putting the pool in on principle if everyone is charging 40% more because they can. FWIW, I hired the electrician and landscapers and coping people on my own. They were experienced with new pools and it was not a big deal. Might be worth looking at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.