Installing DE grid filter

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Is there an easier way to install onto the manifold? I have taken out twice to clean and putting it back was a pain (had to call another person for assistance). I just bought new filters and manifold this week. I read that turning the manifold upside down would be an easier method?

1) flip manifold upside down
2) install the filters
3) put the base on without worry where the filter sit on the notch
4) install the rod
5) have a few beers :p

When I replaced the grids on mine, I found that it was easier to flip it upside down. But it's still a PITA to get them lined up and all in the tabs.

I use the "upside-down" approach with my 36 Sq Ft DE Grid assembly.

Here's what I do:

• Turn upside down. Fit Grids into the Manifold holes.
  • Place assembly onto 2 lumber pieces, like a couple of 2x4's. This elevates the assembly which makes it easier for me to screw the wingnuts to the 2 threaded rods.
  • Standing above the assembly, insert the rods through the assembly, inserting them into the bottom (top of assembly) holes. I use my backyard picnic table as my place for assembling the Grids, standing on the bench so I can see down into the assembly to see the rod holes to align the rods.
  • Attach the rod wingnuts loosely.
  • Flip the assembly so that it's facing up.
  • Fit the top Locator/Spider part onto the top of the grids and fit all grids into their alignment slots. As mentioned here, this is the "patience" step :p. Grab a favorite distraction beverage... I like "Frostie" Root Beer myself
    18ccau.jpg
  • Tighten the rod wingnuts when the Grid Locator/Spider is fitted correctly.

This isn't directly related to the thread, but I found that having a spare Grid Assembly is a nice addition to my pool supplies. I can clean and reassemble the previously-used assembly on my time schedule while the pool is running with the other Grids installed.

I bought a spare assembly a few years ago when I was fighting a strange issue with my DE Filter PSI rising..long story...turned out to be a case of "Pink" algae (actually an organic/bacteria issue).

The spare assembly is a good item to have on hand as a troubleshooting item although, since switching to the TFP methods, it's not been needed for troubleshooting issues.

It's good for a fast DE maintenance turnaround for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.