Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing DE grid filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Glendora, CA

Installing DE grid filter

Is there an easier way to install onto the manifold? I have taken out twice to clean and putting it back was a pain (had to call another person for assistance). I just bought new filters and manifold this week. I read that turning the manifold upside down would be an easier method?

1) flip manifold upside down
    2) install the filters
    3) put the base on without worry where the filter sit on the notch
    4) install the rod
    5) have a few beers

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Installing DE grid filter

I have no experience with DE filters but this might help, Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Some filters come with a thing plastic thing that fits on top of the grids to align them before you install the upper manifold. Mine isn;t one of them, and i don;t think yours is, either. Swearing seems to help.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

When I replaced the grids on mine, I found that it was easier to flip it upside down. But it's still a PITA to get them lined up and all in the tabs.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, TX

I use the "upside-down" approach with my 36 Sq Ft DE Grid assembly.

Here's what I do:

• Turn upside down. Fit Grids into the Manifold holes.
    • Place assembly onto 2 lumber pieces, like a couple of 2x4's. This elevates the assembly which makes it easier for me to screw the wingnuts to the 2 threaded rods.
    • Standing above the assembly, insert the rods through the assembly, inserting them into the bottom (top of assembly) holes. I use my backyard picnic table as my place for assembling the Grids, standing on the bench so I can see down into the assembly to see the rod holes to align the rods.
    • Attach the rod wingnuts loosely.
    • Flip the assembly so that it's facing up.
    • Fit the top Locator/Spider part onto the top of the grids and fit all grids into their alignment slots. As mentioned here, this is the "patience" step . Grab a favorite distraction beverage... I like "Frostie" Root Beer myself
    • Tighten the rod wingnuts when the Grid Locator/Spider is fitted correctly.

This isn't directly related to the thread, but I found that having a spare Grid Assembly is a nice addition to my pool supplies. I can clean and reassemble the previously-used assembly on my time schedule while the pool is running with the other Grids installed.

I bought a spare assembly a few years ago when I was fighting a strange issue with my DE Filter PSI rising..long story...turned out to be a case of "Pink" algae (actually an organic/bacteria issue).

The spare assembly is a good item to have on hand as a troubleshooting item although, since switching to the TFP methods, it's not been needed for troubleshooting issues.

It's good for a fast DE maintenance turnaround for me.
    - Pool Type: 15,000 Gal Gunite IG / Chlorine Treated / Built 1988 / Pump runs ~8 hrs/day
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day
    - Pool Chlorine Treatment Info: Bleach every other day during summer months / ~4-5 days off-season