Pool light cord nightmere

Jan 26, 2015
marco island, fl
<nightmare>
Ok. I'm about to lose my mind. I'm currently resurfacing my pool and pouring a large deck extension. I thought it would be prudent to replace the existing lights for the pool and spa since they are over 20 years old and the pool is empty. I was going to stay with incandescent because the pool is small and I'm cheap. Spa light was fairly easy. Main light is not. I've had several pool repair people try and get the wire loose. It is now broken off. I have a little left at the niche end. I can get a fish through but can't see how that's gonna help anything. I've researched this site and plan to try the cable lube soak "procedure" today, but I have my doubts. I guess my main question is if I need to replace conduit, can this be attempted from the niche side? My reason for asking is that the deck extension we just poured is right over where the cable hang-up is. The hang-up seems to be right where the cable makes its first 90 degree bend.....maybe 2 ft from the niche. If I have to dig up something, would it be easier to dig out the niche and maybe pull liquidtight flexible conduit as I pull out he old rigid plastic and then replace the niche?:drown:

I had our light replaced two years ago by a pool company. We had the same problem you are having. They worked on it the entire day when finally thought the cable was coming out it broke off in the conduit. They went to the hardware store and bought some type of thin metal semi-bendable rod and were able to pound it out at the bend. We thought we were going to have to break up the concrete so we had a sigh of relief.

Well, had 4 different pool repair techs out. I assume they would know what they're doing. Went out this morning to find out the last tech broke the conduit at the first 90 coming down from the transformer. I think I'm screwed. But I still wonder if it's possible to remove the old niche and feed flexible conduit while pulling the old rigid. I would think replacing a niche would be easier than chipping up yards of new concrete.

I have doubts your plan will work.

I would suggest calling some industrial electricians. One of them may have a solution for you.

If you want some suggestions here it would be good to see a picture of the area we may be able to offer suggestions. Relocating your junction box and putting in new conduit may be a solution. But I need pictures.

Also is the pool gunite or vinyl liner?

I see the problem.

One idea would be to bore straight back from the niche and come out the back of your slab with a sweep 90 or flexible pvc to a junction box off to the side. Then run new conduit from the new jb to the pad. A electrician familiar with the rules on pool lighting could do that. Boring the holes is not cheap but can be more reasonable than you expect. Do you care if someone on the lake sees your conduit?

An overall view might give me some more ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got a call from the pool builder. He says it would be easier to run new conduit from the canal side (6') to new LED fixtures. I guess he'll be here Monday to give me some news. The back of the current niche to the end of the slab is 20'. I'll update this when I get a clue. Thanks for the ideas....I'll put the remodel on the website when I get "gumption." It's a small pool, 10,000 gal. because we don't have much room between the house and the canals. Typical here in south Florida.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.