Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light cord nightmere

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light cord nightmere

<nightmare>
    Ok. I'm about to lose my mind. I'm currently resurfacing my pool and pouring a large deck extension. I thought it would be prudent to replace the existing lights for the pool and spa since they are over 20 years old and the pool is empty. I was going to stay with incandescent because the pool is small and I'm cheap. Spa light was fairly easy. Main light is not. I've had several pool repair people try and get the wire loose. It is now broken off. I have a little left at the niche end. I can get a fish through but can't see how that's gonna help anything. I've researched this site and plan to try the cable lube soak "procedure" today, but I have my doubts. I guess my main question is if I need to replace conduit, can this be attempted from the niche side? My reason for asking is that the deck extension we just poured is right over where the cable hang-up is. The hang-up seems to be right where the cable makes its first 90 degree bend.....maybe 2 ft from the niche. If I have to dig up something, would it be easier to dig out the niche and maybe pull liquidtight flexible conduit as I pull out he old rigid plastic and then replace the niche?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light cord nightmere

I had our light replaced two years ago by a pool company. We had the same problem you are having. They worked on it the entire day when finally thought the cable was coming out it broke off in the conduit. They went to the hardware store and bought some type of thin metal semi-bendable rod and were able to pound it out at the bend. We thought we were going to have to break up the concrete so we had a sigh of relief.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

I would get a good electrician to do this. They pull wires through conduit all the time and have the tools and knowledge to may be successful.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, had 4 different pool repair techs out. I assume they would know what they're doing. Went out this morning to find out the last tech broke the conduit at the first 90 coming down from the transformer. I think I'm screwed. But I still wonder if it's possible to remove the old niche and feed flexible conduit while pulling the old rigid. I would think replacing a niche would be easier than chipping up yards of new concrete.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, did I mention the light was working perfectly before I started this fiasco?

6. Back To Top    #6

Welllll you do not HAVE To have a light............fill in the hole and plaster over it might be an answer.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Oh, did I mention the light was working perfectly before I started this fiasco?
    I have a sad for you.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Welllll you do not HAVE To have a light............fill in the hole and plaster over it might be an answer.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I have a sad for you.
    Yeah, I know. How do those floating ones work?

8. Back To Top    #8

I have doubts your plan will work.

I would suggest calling some industrial electricians. One of them may have a solution for you.

If you want some suggestions here it would be good to see a picture of the area we may be able to offer suggestions. Relocating your junction box and putting in new conduit may be a solution. But I need pictures.

Also is the pool gunite or vinyl liner?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

I see the problem.

One idea would be to bore straight back from the niche and come out the back of your slab with a sweep 90 or flexible pvc to a junction box off to the side. Then run new conduit from the new jb to the pad. A electrician familiar with the rules on pool lighting could do that. Boring the holes is not cheap but can be more reasonable than you expect. Do you care if someone on the lake sees your conduit?

An overall view might give me some more ideas.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Just got a call from the pool builder. He says it would be easier to run new conduit from the canal side (6') to new LED fixtures. I guess he'll be here Monday to give me some news. The back of the current niche to the end of the slab is 20'. I'll update this when I get a clue. Thanks for the ideas....I'll put the remodel on the website when I get "gumption." It's a small pool, 10,000 gal. because we don't have much room between the house and the canals. Typical here in south Florida.

12. Back To Top    #12

Good lets see what he comes up with.