Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New IntelliFlo 2 install - OK??

1. Back To Top    #1
    Clovis, CA

New IntelliFlo 2 install - OK??

I just had a local pool service install a new IntelliFlo 2 VST to replace my old 1.5 hp single speed. I noticed the manual says it should have a 10 inch straight run in front of the suction inlet. This will help thepump prime faster and last longer. It was installed with only about an 8 inch run in and it is not really straight (in order to adjust to the higher inlet on the new pump).

What do you think? Is it good enough? It seems to prime quickly, but I'm more worried about the comment that it will "last longer" with the proper length (straight) run in pipe.
    I put a larger pic here: temp photos - Frank's Home Page.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (10.0 KB, 44 views)
    18x32 23k Pebble Tec, IntelliFlo 2 VST, Clean & Clear Plus CCP420 cartridge filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra cleaner, Clovis, CA (central valley)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

Re: New IntelliFlo 2 install - OK??

The 10" length of pipe rule (5X the diameter of the pipe) really doesn't apply to a pump with a pump basket. The rule is more for pumps that are fed directly to the eye of the impeller where turbulence would certainly hamper performance.

Your install is fine.
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New IntelliFlo 2 install - OK??

Yep, I think it is fine also. Mine only has a few inches between the valve and basket, it has worked flawlessly for 3-1/2 years. There are a couple of pics of the equipment pad in my build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach