Stains near main drains just popped up this week...

rmm221

Mar 31, 2015
Granada Hills, CA
I didn't notice them until this week... But my deep end has a bunch of small leaf size dark brown rust colored marks... I thought they were piles of dirt or leaves at first... But scrubbing them with my brush did nothing to the marks. I am gonna run a full test of my water tomorrow in the AM.

I was curious why they only showed up at the main drains... I do have copper plumbing only return lines only on the far side of the pool. The main drains back to the skimmer and pump are all newly installed PVC. My white plaster is less than a year old and this is the first I am seeing these stains.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture but they are in the deep end and pretty small. I figured that if my copper pipes were corroding the stains would most likely show up near the copper return lines on the side wall. But no staining to be found there. Only near the main drains.

Pure guessing BUT something fell into the pool and settled there and made the stains. I would get a chlorine puck and put it on the stains and see what happens.

I will also ask for a full set of test results and how you are testing your water. Best hit is all to see what is what.

Kim

Since this plaster is new, please be very careful with the chlorine puck test. Only allow the puck to sit in the spots for a few minutes to see if they lighten the stain them remove it immediately. Trichlor pucks are very acidic and can damage plaster surfaces. Also, the extremely high chlorine levels right near the surface of the puck can actually cause white plaster to discolor.

If leaves or acorns fell down there, then those are likely tannin stains which will slowly fade if the FC is raised up above normal for a little while. If they are some kind of metal stains, then a vitamin C tablet will lighten them up. You can crush up a bunch of vitamin C tablets in an old sock or nylon and use your pole to hold it down over the stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

pool test

Pure guessing BUT something fell into the pool and settled there and made the stains. I would get a chlorine puck and put it on the stains and see what happens.

I will also ask for a full set of test results and how you are testing your water. Best hit is all to see what is what.

Kim

I didn't have a metal testing kit... Here are my levels-

FC - 1.5
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CYA - 50
CH - 550

Noticed my CH was higher than when I tested in the end of summer. I added about a gallon of chlorine to raise the FC to 6 after I did the testing. If that lightens the stains then my hope is its just organic. I got some vitamin c tablets too, but haven't done the sock test yet. I don't have any tricolor pucks on hand at the moment since I stopped using pucks and fired my pool guy after the new plaster job this past spring.

Found the culprit!!!!

Well I mistook it for a twig at first... Then I realized it was a rusted old nail that rolled or blew into the deep end. I had a heck of a time getting it out... Eventually just jumped into the cold water to fish it out. At least it was a sunny 85 degree day in so cal.

Will the iron stains simply fade away on there own or will I need to rub them down with vitamin c tablets?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 52
Vitamin C will be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

If you have trouble reaching the spots and decide to get/use the spot remover pole, instead of putting acid in it you can mix ascorbic acid with a bit of water in the little reservoir and let that sit on it. You can also put Metal Magic in it. I've had decent results both ways.

Of course, you can also just use a sock, but I've found better control with the pole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have trouble reaching the spots and decide to get/use the spot remover pole, instead of putting acid in it you can mix ascorbic acid with a bit of water in the little reservoir and let that sit on it. You can also put Metal Magic in it. I've had decent results both ways.

Of course, you can also just use a sock, but I've found better control with the pole.

Thanks, I just snapped my telescoping pole yesterday trying to fish out that nail... Is there any harm in waiting a few weeks before attempting to remove the stains? Wasn't sure if it's something that is harder to remove the longer it is on the plaster? If it were summertime I would just swim to the bottom and apply directly. Currently I'm content just having removed the iron source and happy they won't get worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.